Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Top Ten Movies of 2009


Hey everyone. I did not do a Ten Top List last year and got a lot of flack for it. So, with that said, here is my Top Ten of 2009. Enjoy.

 

Runner Up: Drag Me to Hell

 

I loved Sam Raimi’s Drag Me to Hell. To be honest, it was the most fun I’ve had in the theater this entire year. In fact, every time I’ve viewed this movie with a group of friends, I’ve had a great time. The movie is a great return to the horror genre for director Sam Raimi that is filled with great performances, nice scares and wonderful horror / comedy gags. The whole movie is just a lot of fun. Please see it if you haven’t already.

 

10. Where the Wild Things Are

 

Spike Jonze’s Where the Wild Things Are wasn’t what a lot of people where expecting. It was dark, at times slightly scary and pretty depressing. Still, it was a great piece of filmmaking that really captured what it was like to be a child but through an adult’s eyes. The special effects were incredible, the performances were spot on and Jonze’s direction was both inspired and full of energy. Where the Wild Things Are is a movie you should definitely check out if you’re a fan of Jonze’s work, the original children’s book or intelligent filmmaking in any sense of the word.

 

9. Avatar

 

James Cameron’s much-hyped Avatar delivered in a lot of ways. The 3D was incredible. Experiencing the film in the theater (especially in a 3D IMAX theater) was one of the coolest experiences of my life.  While many have complained about the film’s simple storyline and occasional bad dialogue (which there is a lot of), I never stopped enjoying this film. Most people point to the film’s effects being the reason behind this but I must disagree— if the film had a bad plot, then there would be no reason to be invested in the film or much less even watch the film. While simple, Cameron’s story is well told and is constantly engaging and entertaining throughout. That, combined with some near-revolutionary special effects and 3D, makes Avatar a very unique and special film-going experience.

 

8. Funny People

 

The first time I saw Funny People, I was slightly disappointed. However, as time has gone by and I’ve watched it more, the film continues to grow on me. Not only is it director Judd Apatow’s most mature film to date… but also it may be his best. The film is surprisingly angry and depressing. Its characters are cruel and, at times, hard to like. Still, the film remains truthful, honest and really tells a unique story. Along with all of this, it really does have some great moments of comedy. Plus, Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen and Eric Bana all give really solid, memorable performances. Funny People is not for everyone but I can’t help denying that there’s something really special about it. I hope to write more on the film at a latter date.

 

7. Inglourious Basterds

 

Inglourious Basterds is a great movie. However, I can’t help but be dismayed knowing that it could have been Quentin Tarantino’s masterpiece if he had just shown some restraint. The film runs twenty minutes too long and the dialogue scenes are all beyond drawn out (and this is coming from someone who was a defender of Death Proof). Despite these drawbacks, this movie still manages to be light-years better than the majority of the films released this year. Tarantino really manages to create some tension-filled sequences, gives some interesting takes on violence and delivers with an insane finale that not many saw coming. However, the shining light in the film is actor Chistoph Waltz, who’s take on Colonel Hans Landa (a.k.a. The Jew Hunter) is beyond brilliant.

 

6. Watchmen

 

Being a giant fan of Alan Moore’s original Watchmen graphic novel, I was really apprehensive about Zack Snyder’s film adaptation. Lucky for me, the adaptation was pretty solid. Sure, it was beyond confusing for most people who had never read the graphic novel. And yes, the new ending was just a sterilized vision of Moore’s original shocker. However, the movie worked. It was Watchmen in film form. And it was never boring. In fact, it was pretty damn entertaining. Jackie Earle Haley’s incredible performance as fan favorite Rorschach definitely helped this notion.

 

5. 500 Days of Summer

 

Despite 500 Days of Summer being poppy and glossy in nature, the story it has to tell about relationships really hit home with me. I really identified with the character of Tom and felt like I had been in his shoes before (in fact, I know I have… it was just this past summer... no pun intended). The movie manages to be incredibly entertaining and humorous all the while telling a pretty painful story about a guy getting his heartbroken and dating the wrong girl for him. With that said, I loved it.

 

4. Star Trek

 

Star Trek was not only the most entertaining blockbuster I saw this summer but it was also the most heartfelt and thought-out. I feel like it’s impossible to not like this movie. The story is familiar and new at the same time. Nearly everyone can find some character that they identify with in some way, shape or form. The action sequences are incredible. The film has one of the best uses of the concept of time travel that I’ve ever seen. And it’s just fun. It takes Star Trek and completely revitalizes it… making it all fresh once again. It’s really a great example of how to completely revamp a series.

 

3. Up in the Air

 

Up in the Air is Jason Reitman’s best film to date. It tells the story of a materialistic, company man who has cut himself off from the world and everyone that really matters and how he truly pays for it. It manages to be exciting, funny, charming and absolutely devastating all at the same time. But, most of all, it feels genuine. There was a lot of care and talent that went into this movie and it truly shows. It has a wonderful story, great characters, solid acting and inspired directing from one of the best working directors today.

 

2. Adventureland

 

Adventureland surprised me in so many ways. While it was sold as just another teen-sex comedy, it was actually a personal piece from director Greg Mottola about growing up, falling in love and working one of the shittiest jobs on the planet. Everything about the movie felt so genuine and honest that I couldn’t help but fall in love with it. The cast was great, the direction was well thought-out and personal, the soundtrack was amazing, the humor was spot on and the story was well crafted. I couldn’t help but identify with the character of James, feeling like I’d been in his shoes more than one occasion. To me, that’s really the most special thing about this movie. It really made me feel like I had been there, putting a warm feeling in my stomach by the time the credits rolled.

 

1.     District 9

 

District 9 blew my mind the first time I saw it. It took a concept that had been done before (aliens land on Earth) and injected such an insane amount of freshness, originality and energy into it that it was a little overwhelming to watch the first go-around. With director Neil Blomkamp’s haphazard, quasi-documentary direction style, the film feels more real than it should. After five minutes, it really starts to feel like what you are watching is actually real and not a fictional film. That is not an easy feeling to achieve with an audience. The film has truly powerful sequences filled with occasion humor, incredible action, moral issues and sometimes even horror. The movie is never not entertaining nor does it ever let down on its dosage of originality. I have never seen a movie like District 9 and I don’t think I ever will again.

 

I hope you guys enjoyed and agreed with this list. Here’s hoping 2010 is an equally great year for film.

7 comments:

becca. said...

um. nice list.

still waiting on that OTHER list though.

Jake said...

I liked the list. I haven't seen all of the movies but definitely on my list of ones to see. Very surprised by Drag me to Hell. Didn't see it because I thought it would
be terrible. I disagree with your number one choice for sure. I think the idea behind the plot was definitely number one material, but I thought the ridiculous dialogue should keep it out of the number one spot. I also thought fantastic mr fox was a great movie. And why wasn't sorority row on your list?

Wesley said...

What was ridiculous about the dialogue of District 9?

Jake said...

Whenever the alien had a very passionate speaking role, the text on the screen was showing exclamation marks and other things to make it seem like he was upset or screaming, but no matter what the text was it was the same clicking noise. It just seemed a little strange that they tried to give this alien a large range of emotions but his face didn't change much and his clicks never really changed. I didn't think the movie was terrible, just questionable for #1. I guess good and bad are relative anyway.

Ellis said...

I guess The Road was like...number 11...or something.

elgringo said...

Woah, Adventureland was way higher on your list than mine (mostly because it didn't make my list). I'm curious to see what you thought of The Hurt Locker.

Gringo
He-Shot-Cyrus.blogspot.com

divx movies said...

Great List ! I have seen 8 movies out of 10. And All are fantastic . I will surely go for rest of two films as well..