Sunday, December 20, 2009

Watch This 70-Minute Review of The Phantom Menace

Nobody liked Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. The film has been a subject of fan boy hatred ever since it was released back in 1999. There have been countless rants and acidic reviews on the film since it's original release date. It was basically the moment when George Lucas became the enemy to all the people who had grown up with the original Star Wars trilogy. For many, it was the moment our childhoods died a little.


Despite all the rants that have popped up since this infamous film's release, did you know that there was a 70-minute review posted on YouTube? Yes, that's right-- 70 minutes. And it's absolutely brilliant.

The other day I found this item featured on /Film. It comes from a guy simply called "Mike from Milwaukee" and is actually a well-thought out piece of criticism. This isn't your typical YouTube review where a guy sits in front of a camera and talks. No. This is an epic piece of filmmaking. Mike goes through the whole movie and various pieces of behind the scenes footage to show you, the viewer, exactly why this movie did not work and completely fell apart. 

The review is also filled with some very dark humor that I feel may turn some people off (Mike presents himself as a character; a film nerd that isn't very subtle about being a serial killer on the side). However, don't let that keep you from watching this. I really can't stress this enough-- you have to watch this review. It is absolutely required if you like film in any way, shape or form.

I know that the 70-minute time length may turn a lot of people off. Conveniently, it is provided in seven 10 minute segments on YouTube (all of which I have embedded below). Please just start watching the first part. I guarantee you that you won't be able to stop watching once you do (I ended up watching the whole thing in one sitting when I definitely didn't plan on doing so). It's a very entertaining, fascinating piece of criticism. Plus, if you get through the whole review, one thing's for sure-- you'll never look at pizza rolls the same way again. I know I don't.

Watch this epic review below. 

Part 1:



Part 2:


Part 3:



Part 4:


Part 5:



Part 6:


Part 7:




I hope you guys enjoyed it.

Source: /Film

2 comments:

Zach said...

AMAZING.

This review was so perfect. It highlighted everything that made the new Star Wars trilogy so unbearable. I'm still shocked at how truly terrible those movies were.

I only wish that the "I slaughtered them all" speech from Episode 2 could have been included.

movie_fan225 said...

Wow. Simply Wow. "Hit the nail on the head" never seemed so appropriate a phrase. This really makes me want to get our Twin Peaks group together and watch/bash Ep 1. Man, that would be fun. What do you guys think? I'd definitely make time over the break to do this.