Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Speech of the Week #33

Hey guys, welcome to a column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every week I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


Okay. It's been over a month since the last Speech of the Week. Can you all believe that? One month. You must have thought this article was dead. Well, prepare to be disappointed. And I've had a "good" one stored up for the comeback.

Who ever thought up Red Dawn is a freaking genius. The plot? It's the 1980's. Cold War tensions are running high. In the midst of all this, Russians parachute into a small Colorado town and begin killing everyone. And I mean everyone. I'm talking like they go into a school and just start firing. Why do they take a random, small Colorado town? I still can't tell you. They talk about it being strategic but it still sounds stupid to me.

Anyways, all is looking hopeless until a group of teenagers ban together in the woods and form a rebel group named "The Wolverines." The Wolverines then proceed to kill a crap load of Russians before being mostly wiped out themselves.

Did I mention that actors such as Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen and C. Thomas Howell lead the Wolverines? Well, they freaking do. And it's all very 80's and very freaking awesome.

Really, I could go on and on about Red Dawn. The movie reeks of 1980's paranoia and cheese. The fact that this was what many people thought was actually going to happen in the Cold War is kind of ridiculous and a little bit funny. I actually think I may do a big article on this movie once I get out of school and have a little bit more time on my hands (which I have none of at the moment). Anyways... back to the point of this article...

My all-time favorite scene (and trust me, I have a lot of favorite scenes in this movie) in Red Dawn is the scene where Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen visit their dad (played by the awesome Harry Dean Stanton) in a concentration camp the Russians have set up at the local drive-in (I know-- just go with it). I know this scene is supposed to be serious but I just can't help but break down in complete laughter every time I see it. It just kills me. My friend Evan from high school was quite fond of this scene too and we would quote it often. I like to think that it was one of the strong holds of our friendship.

Anyways, a couple of hilarious things happen in this scene:

1) The dad makes the boys promise him they they won't cry for him anymore. They totally break this strange promise later in the movie.

2) Patrick Swayze delivers the line, "Daddy, I love you," while blubbering like a little baby. This is the line that usually cracks me up and the one I quote with Evan the most. I know it's not supposed to be funny. I know it shouldn't be funny. But, dang it... it really is. I don't know if it's because Swayze's crying the way he is or his delivery... I... just... can't.... not... laugh...

3) As the boys leave, the dad dramatically cries out, "BOYS, AVENGE ME!! AVVVVEEENNNGEEE MEEEE!!!" Much like their last promise, they don't really do this either. This line is pretty infamous and is absolutely hilarious. It's actually been parodied by South Park before.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this scene. It's not a straight-up, tradition speech but I felt it was close enough. Plus, it's freaking Red Dawn

0 comments: