Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cloverfield...A few words from Jason.

I must admit that my expectations were low for this one. First of all, this movie was extremely over-marketed. Admittedly, most movies are nowadays. But still, it was. Second, it looked like a cheesy gimmick to get you into the theater. "Look a new Godzilla movie, but wait, there is a twist and it involves a hand-held camera and young adults." But, needless to say, both ploys were enough to get me to watch. The Verdict? Here are some questions to help us answer that one.

Is it perfect? No.
If it is not perfect, than what is it? Clever, uh wait...fun, no no...clever.
Which was it? Both...yeah, both.
Is it funny? Yes (Hud, best character ever).
Is it suspenseful? Yes
You said earlier it looked like a cheesy gimmick. Does it pour corn? Yes, some parts.
Is it an American Godzilla? No (Does no one remember that we have King Kong anyway? We do do not need our own lizard when we have giant super cool..., nay, giant super sensitive monkeys?).
Do you get to see the monster? Yes.
What is it? You'll never know.
I am easily affected by motion sickness, should I see it? I think it is worth a couple pukes into the popcorn bucket.
What's the Verdict? Too Cool.

This movie puts you directly into the action. You are not above it, in it momentarily and then suddenly out, or looking through glass at what is happening outside. You are IN it. It is like a ride and you get to feel every twist and turn, every high and low. Some of the weaker plot points get in the way and some of the scenes wreak of cheese. But there are some parts of the ride that will make you come back for more. And really, they are the moments that make you get on the ride in the first place. Cloverfield is a great ride and it is perfection when it comes to audience participation. I think that is what made me truly enjoy it so much. I was a part of every scene, and that to me is too cool.

0 comments: