Friday, January 25, 2008

Hey! It's Caleb's Lists of Movies of 2007!!

So, as I was watching "My Fair Brady" on VH1, finishing up my second pack of Oreo Cakesters, and coming to the realization that I was what's wrong with America, I figured it was finally time to make my YDKS debut. I'm really not sure why it took me so long. But that doesn't really matter. I'm here now. 


Here are the movies I liked a lot. I'm not going to put them in any order (besides my top three), because I have a really awful memory, so I guess it wouldn't really be fair. But yeah, there's a three-way tie for my favorite movie of the year, which I know is lame, but I really couldn't say if or why I liked one more than the others. Deal with it.

My top three movies of 2007:

There Will Be Blood
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

The rest of the movies I liked alot:

No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
Knocked Up
The Bourne Ultimatum
The Darjeeling Limited
Eastern Promises
Grindhouse
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Hot Fuzz
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Hmm. I should probably add more to this. Here's another list...

My Best Theater Experiences of 2007:

Grindhouse
Eastern Promises
The Nightmare Before Christmas 3-D
Shoot 'em Up

Grindhouse was really awesome because of the reactions of various audience members. If Tarantino's feminist jabbering had been nearly as entertaining as some of these comments, Grindhouse would have been an unforgettable experience. Thank goodness for Kurt Russell.
I remember seeing Eastern Promises was really awesome because it was the first time I had literally been on the edge of my seat watching a movie. The bathhouse scene was probably the most uncomfortable and exhilarated I've ever been simultaneously while watching a movie.
The Nightmare Before Christmas 3-D was awesome, because it was The Nightmare Before Christmas, but in 3-D.
Clive Owen cut an umbilical cord with a pistol in Shoot 'em Up.

Hey, here's another list.

Movies that pissed me off:
Transformers
Spiderman 3
Juno 
Atonement

Some brief thoughts on these movies:
Watching the action scenes in Transformers was like playing that game in The Weekly Reader (a free periodical we read in class every Friday in sixth grade) where you look at super-magnified pictures of everyday objects and try to figure out what they are. Except Transformers cost like $200 million to make, it made my stomach hurt, huge robots blowing crap up look cooler from further away, and I never got to be the first in my class to raise my hand and say, "It's the ridge of a quarter!" like a badass.
I think everybody else has already pretty well articulated everything that was wrong with this movie. What the heck, Raimi? 
Probably the two most frustrating movies of the year for me were both nominated for Best Picture in this year's Academy Awards. I don't really have much to say. If I ever hear another girl say "dude," I will punch her in the boob. Or just avoid her from that point on. Oh, and nothing happened in Atonement. Seriously. Don't see it.

Well, that's it. I promise next time I'll try to vary up my sentence structure, and put forth a little more effort towards the being funny thing. I'm supposed to be the sassy personality. Or at least that's what I imagined. I promise I'll step it up.

Also, I'm not going to edit or proofread this. Boom.









3 comments:

Wesley said...

Good first post. I still don't really agree with your disliking of Juno, but I'm glad you'll punch a girl in the boob if she ever says dude. Your reason for liking Shoot 'Em Up is priceless. I also enjoyed your bringing up of the Weekly Reader and making it relevent to the piece of crap that was Transformers. I think I might make it a point to trash that movie in most of, if not all, my posts here.

Jason said...

bout time

Unknown said...

I didn't like Juno either. I was so disappointed. The dialogue reminded me of a really trendy/indie/hipster Mary-Kate and Ashley movie. Yeah, I said it.