Monday, September 28, 2009

A Nightmare on Elm Street Teaser Trailer Released

The teaser trailer for Platinum Dunes' remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street was released today. The remake comes from music video director Samuel Baker (who notably directed Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" music video) and features Jackie Earl Haley (Little Children, Shutter Island and Watchmen) taking over the reigns of Robert England as Freddy Krueger. 


I'm always really torn over these horror movie remakes. Like many, I don't really see the reason to make them. I'd much rather see another A Nightmare on Elm Street sequel with England as Freddy than a "hip" remake from producer / anti-Christ Michael Bay. Still, with that said, some of the Platinum Dunes remakes have been entertaining. While it was not necessarily a good movie, Marcus Nispel's 2003 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was a good "popcorn" version of Tobe Hopper's original classic horror film. It featured some pretty stunning visuals (as have most of the Platinum Dunes remakes), an awesome performance from R. Lee Ermey and some decent stalking scenes. Some of their other remakes have not faired as well. I enjoyed the Friday the 13th remake at times but, ultimately, it was pretty disappointing. Their Amityville Horror remake was beyond ridiculous and nearly unwatchable. 

While I'd rather have Wes Craven's horror classic not remade, I have to admit that I'm intrigued by this remake. Basically, the selling point of this movie is Jackie Earl Haley as Freddy Krueger. Haley is a fantastic actor. I first saw him in his Oscar nominated performance in Little Children and I've been a fan ever since. I've gained even more respect for the man after seeing his picture perfect interpretation of Rorschach in Watchmen earlier this year. I can't wait to see what he will do with Krueger in this movie. I'm already liking what I see from this trailer. The opening of the trailer which chronicles his death is very well-cut together and it shows that Haley may actually make Krueger more sympathetic than England did.

The rest of the trailer is what you'd expect from Platinum Dunes: really striking visuals. The visual style of these remakes turns a lot of people off but I tend to like it. A Nightmare on Elm Street looks like it will be one of the most visually pleasing off all the Platinum Dunes remakes. It also looks pretty creepy. The scene with Freddy at the very end is quite effective.

This movie may turn out to be a piece of crap but I will end up seeing if only to see what Haley can do with Krueger.



Source: Trailer Addict

0 comments: