Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Movie Nerd's Dorm Room

Being a filmmaker, movie blogger and all-around movie nerd, I tend to try and make my living space reflect my love for film. Over the years, I have been collecting various movie posters, some rare art prints and other posters for films I admired. This year, I went through the process of framing all of these posters and hanging them up in my dorm room. Since these posters have a lot to do with film, I figured that this might be an appropriate post for YDKS Movies (unlike the college dorm room post my brother did when he used to write for the site). 


I feel that this post might give you all a little more insight into myself and how I choose to live. 

Upon entering our dorm room, you will find a giant poster of the Comedian from Watchmen lighting a cigar with a flamethrower. This is exactly the kind of message we want to send to our visitors: badasses live here.

It should be noted that, at the moment, we are the only people on the hall to have a poster on the outside of our door. I plan on adding another poster to the door as the year goes on.

On the far side of our room, you will find the sci-fi corner. Here I have posters for the original Star Wars Trilogy and Blade Runner: The Final Cut.

A closer view of the sci-fi corner. Drew Struzan's Blade Runner: The Final Cut poster print is one of my favorite pieces in the room. It is one of three Struzan pieces that I own (as he is my favorite poster artist).

This is artist Tim Doyle's Bill Murray Times Six art print. It is a rare piece and is no longer available for sale. This is from the third limited run that Doyle did. This is one of my favorite pieces in my room. I think Bill Murray is a really cool guy and everytime I look at this it makes me happy.

A shot of Bill Murray Times Six over one of our two couches and our messy bunked beds.

Another shot of the sci-fi corner and our two couches side-by-side. I really love our set up. There's lots of room to walk around and sit down.

This is the other far corner of the room. It is a little more random. It hosts posters for The Thing, King Kong and Taxi Driver. It is over my roommate Caleb's desk.

Rare art prints from the Alamo Drafthouse presentations of The Thing and King Kong. These prints sold out in under an hour a piece. I was lucky enough to get both of them. I really love these posters. Tyler Stout did the art print for The Thing. Next to Struzan, he is becoming my favorite poster artist.

This is the horror corner. It is over my desk. It contains posters for Halloween, Grindhouse and The Monster Squad. I love this corner and I'm glad that my desk is in it. I particularly love The Monster Squad poster. On my desk, you can see mini-busts of The Joker and Captain America as well as bobble-heads of Dwight from The Office and The Dude from The Big Lebowski.

This is a Drew Struzan print of The Goonies teaser poster. It is one of my favorite posters in the room. I actually bought this on move-in day. I love it.

A mini-poster of David Bowie in Labyrinth. Just awesome.

A poster for The Breakfast Club that my friend Blossom bought me and a mini poster for Big Trouble in Little China (yet another Drew Struzan piece).

Well that's my dorm room this year. Hope you guys enjoyed looking at my growing poster collection. I really am enjoying it at the moment.

4 comments:

Ellis said...

Haha, oh how I am going to miss waltzing into your quarters and dropping the word "fuck" around like Eddie Murphy in the Cop trilogy. Have a good year, bro!

Wesley said...

Ellis, I miss you walking into my room and yelling curse words. This comment made me very happy.

becca. said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

Wesley said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Rebecca.