Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Speech of the Week #36

Welcome everyone to a weekly column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! Every week, I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.

This week's speech comes from a movie I had real mixed emotions for: Be Kind Rewind. While I enjoyed the "sweded" films and certain sections of this movie, most of it feel flat for me. Its tone was all over the place and it was too weird for its own good. That and the theatrical trailer unfortunately gave all of the swedes and, since that was kind of the highlight of the film, most of the good stuff was already given away.

With that said, there were some sections of the film that kept me from completely disregarding it. One of these sections is the speech below. Here, three of the main characters are eating in a diner when someone brings up The Lion King. This sparks a diner-wide discussion about how awesome that movie was and how messed up it was for a children's film (the film's Shakespearian elements are brought up).

Even though I really liked all the creative swedes that they did of other movies, this scene might be my favorite part of Be Kind Rewind. Despite the fact that I've only seen this movie one time years ago, this scene still remains embedded in my mind. 

Unfortunately, I could only find a version of this scene that was recorded off of someone's computer screen. Therefore, the quality is pretty bad. Still, it's better than nothing. Watch the speech below. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lion King is my favorite Disney movie. I didn't care too much for Be Kind Rewind, though it did have a few heartwarming moments...