Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day Puff: Natural Born Killers


I am literally on my way home to eat Thanksgiving meals with a couple of my different families, but I just wanted to write down some thoughts in regards to what I just watched.

Natural Born Killers is the perfect nightmare. It is completely terrifying, but you can't help and replay all of the insane moments in your head. Also, many of the moments are not realistic or fitting or comprehensible, but you have this innate desire, nay, compulsion, to tell everyone about it. And, in the end, you are ultimately left speechless as to the underlying meaning of it all.

Ultimately; however, the meaning is this: Oliver Stone made a fine movie. One that nobody can fully comprehend after just one viewing. You can talk about culture, and society, and how Stone was really pointing the camera at himself when he showed all of the insane things people do, but none of that matters.

I still cannot fully comprehend all the detail on the screen. From the acting to the characterization of everything to the non-stop camera mind-overload, I am having trouble processing it all. But the good thing about this nightmare is that I can re-watch it as many times as I want.

This movie may not be everyone's cup of tea on a Thanksgiving morning, and unless you are a bum like me, many of you may not even have the time to watch a movie period. Nonetheless, I hope all of you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving Day. And if you get the good end of the wishbone, do us all a favor and wish for more movies like this.

3 comments:

Preston said...

I'm intrigued.

Wesley said...

This is one of the few Oliver Stone movies I haven't seen, mostly because I heard Stone butchered Quentin Tarantino's original screenplay (to the point where Tarantino had his name taken off the film). Still, I will give it a shot someday. It looks pretty crazy.

Jason said...

Tarantino did write the original screenplay. But I wouldn't use the word "butchered." I would say something more like "completely new." All Oliver Stone did was take the take the original premise and along with a couple others, made it completely their own. Tarantino has a "Story By" credit which still gives him his due and abides with the credit laws of the guilds. Seeing as how they used little of QT's script in the final version of the film, they couldn't give him a screenplay credit. The good news is that NBK was originally suppose to be non-stop cheese action, but Stone could not help but make it dark.