Monday, November 10, 2008

Watchmen Ending Definitely Changed

I have posted three articles now pertaining to the possible ending change to the film adaptation of Watchmen. Honestly, it's getting a little old now. 


For those of you who have not been keeping up, there was a special test screening held in Portland, Oregon a few weeks ago for Watchmen. Apparently, some fans crashed the screening (it was supposed to be a "blind screening" for non-fans) and quickly hit the Internet with news of a new ending very different from the ending of the original graphic novel. A lot of Watchmen fanboys (myself included) have been up in arms about the change since. 

There have been some reports that there was more than one ending shot and that the screening was just to test fan tolerance to the new ending but, as it turns out, that is all B.S. For me, it never made sense for them to shoot more than one ending due to the cost of creating something as vast and insane as the ending of the original graphic novel and go with something else instead. 

Anyways, it seems that the case is simple: yes, they changed the ending. No, the original graphic novel ending was never filmed nor will it be filmed. Zack Synder revealed this in an interview for Dark Horizons earlier this week. He's sure to put in that fans of the graphic novel were pleased with the film version. Nice one, Zack. 

Personally, after reading the interview (and it is spoilerish), I disagree with Synder on some of his views of Watchmen. The fact that he just blows off the original ending like it's not a big deal is kind of ridiculous. The fact that he puts more emphasis on scene such as the Comedian shooting a pregnant woman over the ending (i.e. the point of the book) doesn't really make sense to me. Also, after reading about some of his additions to the movie, they sound fun but, when thinking about them, they do not really make much sense in the context of the characters. 

Ugh, I'm tired of thinking and talking about this. I'm sure the movie will be entertaining but I just don't like the fact that Synder is taking so many liberties after saying that he wasn't going to. I do not like it when people betray my trust, Zack. Anyways, I have until March to get over the ending change. I'm sure I'll make it.

Also, for those wondering, that is a new teaser poster for the film featuring Rorschach at the top of the article.

1 comments:

Jason said...

I hate Zack Snyder...what a tool.