Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Brothers Bloom Opening is Brilliant

The opening for director Rian Johnson's new film The Brothers Bloom has been online for some time now but, for some reason, I am just now getting around to watching it.


I absolutely loved Johnson's quirky and intelligent high school film noir Brick but, when I saw the first trailer for The Brothers Bloom, I felt that he was taking a step back. I don't know why but it just didn't grab my attention. I felt that it looked a little too mainstream and Hollywood compared to Johnson's last film.

Well, after watching the opening sequence of the film, I'm glad to say that I was wrong. This is one of the most intriguing and entertaining openings to a film I've seen in some time. It almost gives me the same feeling I got reading novels such as The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Good Old Boy. It has a very nostalgic feel to it and it's just really fun to watch. It also has a lot of really funny moments to it ("Talk. to. her." ; the cat). After watching this, I can't wait to see the rest of the movie and just what else Johnson has up his sleeve in the future. He's definitely one of the most exciting new directors working today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, sorry I'm like bombarding your blog with comments today, but YES. Great opening. And the funniest part of the opening IS the 'talk. to. her!' line, which I referenced on my blog when I posted the opening a couple weeks ago. So funny.

It's hard to explain why the opening feels so right, but so much happens, so much is explained, and there are so many emotions visited (however brief) with the nice accompaniment of music that stands to be a fine soundtrack! Can't wait.

Wesley said...

You're not bombarding. I like comments and usually don't get very many.

I'm glad you liked this too. I can't wait to see the whole movie. Have you seen Brick yet?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have seen Brick. Which was great!