Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Within the Next Year

I realize this is old news to pretty much everyone; however, while sitting at work for 8 hours this morning I couldn't help but be excited over next Spring's release of Tim Burtons's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland. Some of my favorite movies as a child were those he directed (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, and Batman Returns being at the top). Since then, I finally got to see The Nightmare Before Christmas--last year actually, in 3-D--and was astounded. And also a couple Christmases ago, Sweeney Todd was the winner for the movie I watched on Christmas day. The things Burton did with that musical impressed me so that I had to return to theaters a second and third time. At the bottom of my Burton list lies Corpse Bride; still, I will always remember the interesting and laughable experience it was watching that one at 3 in the afternoon with a friend at the Clinton Cinema.

Needless to say, I will be at the movies on opening day of Alice and Wonderland. I haven't been able to find any new articles on the film, but I just realized today that Anne Hathaway will be playing the role of the White Queen--not my favorite choice, but she is interesting to watch in more developed roles than that of Mia Thermopolis (such as her role in Rachel Getting Married, again not my favorite movie but I was finally impressed with Hathaway). Of course I am thrilled that Burton is once again collaborating with Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter, and can't wait to see Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen (she is definitely a favorite). One can only hope to see Depp and Carter in a scene together after watching them in Sweeney Todd. Unfortunately, if memory serves me correctly, the Mad Hatter and Red Queen have no interaction in the story. To make sure, I think I'll be reading my books again.

Before next Spring, I think it's safe to say that the other film I'm most excited about is Where the Wild Things Are--once again, old news. Anyone want to visit me in North Carolina, dress up in costume, and take a movie trip with me? I'll be the cute one.

Alright guys, now to reading Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass again. Go get some sun.
~Amanda Leigh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda!

Tim Burton is fun. Edward Scissorhands is my favorite of his. I wasn't a fan of Sweeney Todd, though I do love musicals and Sweeney Todd is my favorite off of Broadway (Les Miserables taking a very close second).

Alice in Wonderland is bound to be a trip, and I cannot wait to see Helena Bonham Carter, as she's definitely a favorite for me too. I think her best peformance yet is in A Room with a View, which was one of (if not her first) full feature-length performances.

Wesley said...

I'm looking forward to this as well. I've become a big Burton fan over the years. Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Big Fish and Sleepy Hollow are among my favorites of his. I also saw A Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D. It was a pretty amazing experience.