Sunday, May 24, 2009

Jason's Terminator Salvation Review


I don't really know why this movie is titled "Salvation." It must be one of those multi-layered metaphors about this movie saving the franchise, or John Connor finally finding his place as the prophesied leader of the resistance. Whatever it means, however, the true nature gets lost in translation as the movie never quite rises above the cloud of McG's ego.

There is really not a story to speak of. I guess in between all the loud parts, you may be able to call that the story. The post apocalyptic world Terminator fans have been dreaming of is not quite so apocalyptic. I never got the sense of hopelessness and it doesn't quite feel like the war ever reached my front door step. Therefore, throughout the film, I didn't care if anyone lived or died.

The music is non-existent. It is such a shame because Danny Elfman is frequently brilliant at times.

The acting is atrocious. I can not think of the last time I rolled my eyes so much in the theater. I felt bad for the people sitting around me because of how much I involuntarily scoffed at both line delivery and dialogue. Not even Jonathan Nolan writing on set could save any of the scenes. Bryce Dallas Howard, Christian Bale, Moon Bloodgood, Common, and Michael Ironside are all poorly directed. And not even the good actors could salvage the lines and screen times they were given. The only shining light was Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, who has already had a big year as Chekov in Star Trek. Sam Worthington could have been good, but McG directs him into the ground along with everyone else, and Helena Bonham Carter should not even be in this movie as her character is both ridiculous and wasted through a series of bad morphing shots.

This movie is bad in every way. But, if you are like the millions of Transformers fans who care nothing about story or good directing, you will love this film along with all the other big action turds set to come out this summer. I on the other hand will regret the fact that I spent $5 on a ticket that will go to save an even worse movie theater.

0 comments: