Monday, February 2, 2009

Speech of the Week #28: The Christian Bale is Angry Edition

Hey guys, welcome to a column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


So here's the deal: I can't think of a good movie speech off the topof my head and there's a new audio clip of Christian Bale that's making a big buzz on the Internet today so why not kill two birds with one stone.

For those who haven't heard, TMZ some how got an audio clip from the set of Terminator Salvation in which Christian Bale completely snaps and dog-cusses director of photography Shane Hurlbut for walking around in his eye-line while a scene was being filmed to "check a light." It is evident from the things said by Bale that this is not the first time this had happened. Everyone in the filmmaking business knows that you do not walk around while a scene is being filmed. There is a reason that they say "Quiet on the set." No one is supposed to talk or move. So this guy was definitely making a novice mistake. 

However, Bale snaps and delivers about 37 f-bombs in the span of 4 minutes. It's pretty intense. There's no video and I wasn't even there but I felt like Bale was going to hurt me. I've always felt that Bale was probably a pretty intense guy in person (especially with all the stories of his method-acting) and this pretty much confirms it. You do not want to mess up his scene. I definitely feel like he went overboard but we don't really know the situation around the melt down so it's kind of hard to tell what all lead up to this.

One thing that is really evident from this whole thing is this: what is director McG doing here? It is the director's job to control his or her actors and McG completely fails here. You only hear him talk softly twice and he totally backs down to Bale. Granted, I'm sure Bale was terrifying to be around here but, come on, man, do your job. 

So yeah, I blame everyone for this one. Everyone in Hollywood sucks. The sad thing is I'm pretty sure this happens all the time. In fact, I'm pretty positive it does. Just watch those David O. Russell videos from the I Heart Huckabees set. Now that's insane.

Warning: This speech is NSFW. Bale curses a lot. And is kind of a douche. Enjoy.

1 comments:

becca. said...

i counted thirty-nine.