Friday, June 26, 2009

Independent Film of the Week #4: Sofia's People


This is a new article series that I would like to start on YDKS Movies called Independent Film of the Week. In this series, I would like to showcase an independent film that I enjoy for all of you to discover. I have been watching a lot of these on Vimeo in the past few days and it has really inspired me to make something new myself other than the Bags and Boards series I have been working on (though don't get me wrong, I'm still going to be making Bags and Boards throughout the summer). 

This week's entry is called Sofia's People from director Philip Bloom. The film is mostly made to show the kind of image and focus that one can achieve with a Canon 5dmk2 24p camera. All the footage in this film was taken right out of the camera without any kind of color correction or digital manipulation. The result is really quite beautiful. Bloom just went out onto the streets and got various shots of inhabitants of the city and its visitors. Although the video lacks any kind of story, it still manages to be fascinating to watch due to the kinds of people and images that Bloom manages to capture. I just like watching this. I'm still not sure why. Hopefully, you all will as well. 

0 comments: