Thursday, June 25, 2009

So Here's the Deal...


As you, the dedicated reader, may have noticed lately, my writing for the site has become quite sparse over the past few weeks. There are various reasons for this. I have working to create to create episodes for my web series Bags and Boards. This has really absorbed a lot of my time. It's basically become a job but one in which I do not get paid for (with this said, I'm not really complaining. I enjoy it; it's just really time-consuming is all). I have also been preparing for various other film jobs: a television commercial for Heroes and Dreams (which I am beginning work on right after Episode III of Bags and Boards), a fairly daunting video to open Welcome Week for my college, a possible furniture commercial, another paid film job for my college and, last but not least, another personal film project that I have been trying to get off the ground for some time (Young, Awkward and Stupid). 

Another thing that's really taken up a lot of my time has been my first "relationship" of sorts. Though you may not technically be able to call it a relationship, I was seeing someone exclusively (which constitutes a relationship? I'm still not sure. I just know that relationship is a scary word for a lot of people. Still not sure why) and, since it was my first time around, I put a lot of time into it. It's been a very rewarding, often scary but altogether exciting experience. Nonetheless, as of last night, it came to an end that's been about two weeks in the making. I'm not that depressed about this. I'm going to miss it a lot but it's just one of those things that had to happen I guess. Still, I have to recognize that this really has taken up a lot of my time and, because of this, I have neglected this place more than usual (though I'm not sure if I can fully apologize for this-- after all, I'd much rather be cuddling up with a beautiful girl than geeking out over some movie on here. Sorry guys. I'm just built this way). 

Anyways, I was out late Monday night eating some incredibly unhealthy appetizers and desserts at Applebees (a plug?) with some of my closest friends (Caleb, Guy and Seth) when one of them asked me about YDKS. I hadn't written in a week and they were wondering if I was done with the place. At that moment, I kind of thought I was. Even though I'm not the only writer here (Jason, my co-founder still writes every now and then and Amanda Leigh, our newest addition to the site, has been putting up articles recently), I do kind of feel like I run this place at times. Being obsessive compulsive, I really took it upon myself to update this place at an unhealthy rate last summer and most of the fall. To run a movie blog by oneself is a pretty difficult thing to do and I kind of have to come to terms that I really cannot do that.

Still, I find myself resist at leaving. After all, this place is kind of my baby. And, for some reason, we do actually have regular readers here (and God bless them). I can't just let all of that go, can I? With this said, I have recognized a need for some change on my part in order for me to continue with a realistic life schedule. 

So here's what I had in mind.

From here on out, I will be changing up my writing style. I will be doing shorter, more cohesive reviews. My reviews have always been a daunting task for me because they've always been so damn long (for a reference, go here and here). It's because of this that I've put off reviews of Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, Drag Me to Hell, Up, and The Hangover for so long. So, if I do review a film on here, do not expect a review of my usual length anymore. I hope to hit all of the same points that I usually do but I just need to give myself more of a break when it comes to these. 

Many people have asked me, "What's happened to Bruce Lee Month?" Well, it's cancelled. I'm sorry. I know a lot of people enjoyed the teaser I did but it's just not going to happen. I thought about stretching it to "Bruce Lee Summer" but the fact is I just have too many damn film projects this summer to take care of already. So, it hurts me to say that it just won't be happening anymore. Perhaps I'll attempt it again sometime in the future. I do apologize for this. 

Another thing is that I just cannot guarantee a post everyday like I used to do in the past. I have made a lot of changes in my life in the past few months and the way I live it. I am trying very hard to give myself enough breathing room so I won't get overwhelmed like I did this past fall. So, with this in mind, I just cannot spend all my time writing here. I have to focus on my filmmaking, school work and my personal life.

So this is what I kind of had in mind. I just felt the need to let you all know why I had not been writing as much as usual and what plans I had (if any) for the future of this site. I really care for YDKS a lot and I feel like I've really achieved some cool stuff with this place. I'm proud of a lot of the articles I've written and a lot of the positive feedback I've received. So if you're one of the people who continue to check this place out-- thank you. Really. I will do my best to not let myself get too tied up again. But just know, I cannot give every second of my time to this place anymore.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn't have to move for anybody.