Friday, June 12, 2009

A Trend in My Movies These Days (Part 1)

For a while now I've been without Internet. Finally, earlier this week, I was once again blessed with the convenience of such technology; but have still neglected to post. Finally, I am here to discuss a certain trend I've noticed lately in my viewing of films. (At first I attempted to put it all in one post, but have now decided to split this up into three separate posts... hopefully).


Last Thursday all of my belongings minus my car, my clothes, my Christmas ornaments, and my self was packed into a Penske truck I like to refer to as Uncle Don and moved to the beautiful state of North Carolina. This is where I (along with my car, my clothes, and my Christmas ornaments) will also be moving in August.

Well, let's face it. I'm a girl, therefore I am highly emotional at times. After weeks of packing and cleaning and finally realizing that this whole process of moving was actually happening, I needed therapy. I hate shopping so that whole "retail therapy" thing was completely out of the question. I reverted to the movies.

On Thursday night, after everything was gone and the house I was staying at was devastatingly a void--other than a few belongings that its next tenant will be using--I sat down alone and watched Martian Child. This was one of those I had in a way wanted to see, but didn't really care either way. A few people had told me "Oh, that's definitely an Amanda movie." So I watched it. And for all the stinking emotions boiling inside of me at the moment, it was a perfect movie to cry at. I sobbed like a baby.

Then I watched the extras. I had not realized before viewing this that it had been inspired by true events. Apparently this film is based off a book written by David Gerrald, an award-winning author who decided quite a while back to adopt. After years spent with his adopted son, and story-worthy after story-worthy occurence, Gerrald decided to write a novel based on the unusual relationship between himself and his adopted son. Much of what is seen in the movie, including the imaginative pretending of the boy that he is from the planet Mars, is directly inspired from the relationship of Gerrald and his son. And for some reason, after running high on emotions and low on sleep, I found myself completely entranced by and relating to the message (in my opinion) in this movie: No matter where I am, I will most likely feel out-of-place and "not at home." However, I am confident in the hope that I will run into somebody (no matter which end of the world I am in) that I belong to. Which, by the way, completely contradicts the famous phrase of Holly Golightly in my favorite movie Breakfast At Tiffany's: I'm like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other.

Then again, I am a girl. And I hope.

The trend, therefore, that I have recently and unknowingly subjected myself to is movies inspired by true events. (Oh dear, this could turn into a Lifetime affair quite quickly. I'm sure it won't). Within the next couple days I hope (there's that tricky little word again) to be posting on the other movies of this same fashion I've been viewing lately. And, don't worry, the others have not been viewed on emotions so I didn't quite "relate" to everything.

Until then, adieu good sirs.

1 comments:

Wesley said...

I have not seen this movie but the preview for it used to play all the time in Movie Gallery when I used to work there. It did look more interesting than most of the movies we advertised for but I'm still not sure if it's up my alley.

However, I am intrigued by this series of articles. Keep it going. Interested to see what comes up next.