Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Shutter Island Trailer Just Made Me Wet My Pants




Today the trailer for Martin Scorsese's newest film Shutter Island was released. Based on the novel by Dennis Lehane (Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River), the film goes as follows:


“The story follows a U.S. Marshal named Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) who travels to Shutter Island, a small island in Massachusetts’ Outer Harbor, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to find an escaped murderous patient in the Summer of 1954. But nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems. And neither is Teddy Daniels. Is he there to find a missing patient? Or has he been sent to look into rumors of Ashecliffe’s radical approach to psychiatry? The closer Teddy and Chuck get to the truth, the more elusive it becomes, and the more they begin to believe that they may never leave Shutter Island. Because someone is trying to drive them insane."

Holy crap. Now, for anyone who doesn't know me, I'm a Martin Scorsese fan boy through and through. My love for this man and his movies (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas and The Departed just to name a few) is almost to a creepy level. As far as I'm concerned, the man can do no wrong in the realm of filmmaking. 

So, after watching this trailer, I cannot help but be very excited for this movie. It doesn't look like anything Scorsese's done in the past (except maybe for Cape Fear). It not only looks like a very entertaining thriller but an incredibly creepy one as well. Some of the images in this trailer are very surreal and beautiful. I cannot wait to see them on the big screen. Also, it looks like Scorsese is working with a great cast. I'm starting to think DiCaprio can do no wrong these days. Also, I was happy to see good ole' Jackie Earle Haley in there as a creepy-looking character. It's good to see that Watchmen will not be the only big budget flick the guy gets into. 

So, as you can tell, I'm excited. If you're not... well... you shouldn't come here. Really.

3 comments:

Eric said...

I think everybody posted this trailer today (including myself)! I've always been a huge Scorsese fan so to see his return to semi-horror, a la Cape Fear, gets me all giddy.

Wesley said...

Same here. I've always been a big fan of Cape Fear so it will be intriguing to see him return to the horror film again. Though my heart will always be with his mafia films.

amanda leigh said...

This may actually creep me out, in the purest sense of the word, and keep me creeped out.