Sunday, January 4, 2009

AWA '08


Now this isn't a movie post sadly. But as you guys have seen before, we at YDKS like to cover as many events and conventions as possible. So just for you guys I come bearing photos and coverage from a convention that went down in '08. Think of it as a late Christmas present.

Now as I've mentioned before, I'm by all means an anime nerd. I'm even a very involved member of the Mississippi State University Anime Club. The club will even sponsor and plan trips to anime conventions if they're near enough. So this past semester when the club announced that they were planning a trip to Anime Weekend Atlanta (AWA) '08, I was all over that. AWA took place over September 19-21, so our club planned a day trip on the 20th.

A majority of the people in the club going decided to cosplay (dress up) for the convention, so I decided to also. Leading up the the convention I made myself a Solid Snake costume (the character from the Metal Gear Solid series and he's also in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I ended up using the costume he wears in Brawl as reference for my costume.). And yes you can dress up as a video game character for anime conventions (trust me, I saw a lot weirder than video game characters there).

When the day of the convention came we left about 3-4 am, drove something like 7-8 hours, and finally got to Atlanta a bit before noon. When we got to the hotel that AWA was taking place in I was quickly glad that I dressed up. The hotel was freaking immense, and nearly 98% of people were in full costume. All the anime people filled up the hotel's lobby, all of its first and second floors, and a massive warehouse like room that the dealer's room was in. I think there was something like over 11,000 people who attended the convention.

The convention was comprised of the hotel's lobby which became a makeshift gathering area, an artist's alley, many video rooms, a few gaming rooms, and a massive dealer's room. The dealer's room alone took at least an hour and a half to look at every booth, excluding the time it would take navigating around all the people.

Also in the hotel next to AWA's dealer's room, the two other convention warehouse rooms were taken up by a log cabin convention and a pregnant mothers convention. I feel sorry for the people who came to go to those conventions.

Besides all that, it was pretty much just lots of crazy people and lots of crazy stuff. So enough with that, its picture time. (I apologize in advance for the poor photo quality in some of the pictures, for some reason the lighting in some of the rooms just threw off my camera's quality.)

This is some of the people from my anime club. They all went as characters from the anime Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann.

Me all geared up.

This is just a hallway between the dealer's room and the lobby, but look how many people are in it.

Damn right.


Dealer's room from the left...

from the front...

from the right...

Us snakes gotta stick together.

Terribly quality and a feminine Daredevil...

Metal Gear Solid photo shoot.

The good stuff...

Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer.

The highlight of my trip...

Big-a sword...nuff said...

...uh...just weird...

Amazingly epic.

This picture confuses me so much. Its a hot chick dressed up as Link...she's hot...but its Link...don't know what to think...my brain hurts...

Furies kinda weird me out, but you gotta admit, they're dedicated. She had that mask wired so that the mouth would move when she talked, and she could make the wing sway.

Oh sh*t, run! Don't ask if you don't know, just run!

For the guys...

Big ol' lobby...

This picture just seemed like the perfect ending for this. A lone Pokemon car with a lone man waving goodbye...

I hope you enjoyed my coverage of AWA '08. Just remember kids, anime people are people too...they're just weirder...

3 comments:

Wesley said...

I really wanna go to the San Diego Comic-Con but I'm not sure if I could ever go to a convention like this. Plus, I'm just not into anime at all.

Still, cool pictures.

movie_fan225 said...

And you didn't inform me of this convention WHYY??? I woulda bin all ova dis sh*t.
Some comments about the pictures....
"Amazingly epic": it truly is amazingly epic...
"Hot Link Chick": don't question it. Just savor the goodness of her.
"Yaoi Land": Is that a giant inflatable bottle of Wild Turkey whiskey to the right? Interesting....
"For the guys...": Is that Ann Howard on the left in the red?
"Lone Pokemon Car": It was a sad day when Pokemon died... But you really captured the true essence of the humor in it. I chortled a little.

Austin said...

Next time I'll make sure to send you an invite. There is a few anime conventions around the year near Mississippi, but everyone I know says that AWA is the best one. I think it was only $25 to get into the convention. Only annoying thing about it is the drive up to Atlanta. Its an easy drive, just very long. But even if your not into anime, its still cool to see all the crazy stuff going on.