Monday, January 12, 2009

Speech of the Week #25: The Golden Globes Edition


Hey guys, welcome to a column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


So here's the deal: it's Monday night and my Internet has been down here at college for most of the day. I'm tired and I have yet do a Speech of the Week or a wrap-up of last night's Golden Globes Awards. The solution? Kill two birds with one stone.

For those of you who live under a rock, the 2009 Golden Globes were last night. I usually don't watch the Golden Globes but I was bored and my friend Daniel was watching it so I ended up giving it a shot. To be honest, they really weren't that bad.

Just to get it out of the way, here's a list of the winners (in the film catorgies- screw television) for those who didn't see it:

Best Picture (Drama)- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Director- Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)
Best Actor (Drama)- Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)
Best Actress (Drama)- Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road)
Best Picture (Comedy or Musical)- Vicky Cristina Barcelona 
Best Actor (Comedy or Musical)- Colin Farrell (In Bruges)
Best Actress (Comedy or Musical)- Sally Hawkins (Happy Go Lucky)
Best Supporting Actor- Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)
Best Supporting Actress- Kate Winslet (The Reader)
Best Animated Feature Film- Wall-E
Best Foreign Language Film- Waltz with Bashir (Israel)
Best Screenplay- Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire)
Best Original Score- Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Song- "The Wrestler"- Bruce Springsteen (The Wrestler)

My thoughts on the whole thing: Slumdog Millionaire really raped. I'm not sure if it will do the same thing at the Oscars but it just might. Honestly, the trailers for the movie haven't really impressed me. It kind of looks manipulative, mawkish and a little bit cheesy. However, the reviews for the movie have been amazing. That and Danny Boyle is behind it and I've loved the majority of his movies. So, I will definitely see the movie whenever I get the chance... however, I have the feeling that it will never come out in Mississippi (screw this state). 

Other random thoughts:

- I'm really glad Heath Ledger won. I was going to be so pissed if Tom Cruise or Robert Downey, Jr. won. They don't deserve it. Now, I just hope Heath can pull off the Oscar. Chris Nolan being there to accept it and his speech for him was beyond classy. I love this man.

- I know I gave television the shaft above but screw 30 Rock. What the hell is everyone's obsession with this show? Screw it. Granted, I've only seen about ten minutes of it but, of those ten minutes, I didn't think it was that funny. The Office is so much better. I'm just sick of seeing the show, Alec Baldwin (a complete prick) and Tina Fey (who actually seems alright) win everything every year. John Adams looks cool though. HBO pawned the night.

- Kate Winslet is giggly. Still, I like her.

-Kate Beckinsale is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Ever.

- Ricky Gervais is beyond funny. He should be hosting the Oscars and should be a famous movie star. Really, his speech / clip introduction was amazing.

To be honest, there were a lot of great speeches last night. Chris Nolan was great, Rick Gervais was hilarious and even Tracy Morgan was good. His speech almost made me feel okay about 30 Rock unjustly winning another award. However, when I had to pick one for the speech of the week, I had to go with the Mick.

Mickey Rourke's speech for winning for Best Actor for his work in The Wrestler is something you would expect from Mickey Rourke. He stumbles a lot, calls Darren Aronofsky a tough son of a bitch and even thanks his dogs (because, when you're a lonely man, they're the best thing you got... painfully honest, kind of funny and very Rourke). The best part of the whole thing is the fact that Aronofsky flips Mickey the bird after he tells everyone how tough he is. How awesome is that? 

Man, I can't wait to see The Wrestler. I haven't even seen it yet and already I want Mickey to win the Oscar. I mean, he's freaking Mickey Rourke. He should get it just for that fact.

6 comments:

becca. said...

so glad heath ledger won. he better win an oscar. i dont know what is so great about 30 Rock either..i can't stand alec baldwin. the office should have won, but they didn't ask me. oh well.

becca. said...

oh, and that was a fun speech.

Wesley said...

I'm glad you liked it. It was hard to pick one speech from last night that I liked the best. Then I remembered- oh yeah, Mickey Rourke did one. So it was a no brainer. I just hope that he gets to top it during the Oscars. And I'm glad you agree with me on 30 Rock.

Jason said...

I have seen Slumdog Millionaire, and let me just say that it lives up to the hype. I have also seen The Wrestler and Milk, and I am certain that the Oscar Race will be between Rourke and Penn. Kate Winslet deserved her win for Revolutionary Road as her and Leo were both great in that film.

And not to be an echo, but I too loathe 30 Rock. And I have even watched it for extended periods of time.

Wesley said...

How have you seen Slumdog Millionaire, Milk and The Wrestler? You live in Philadelphia, Mississippi.

movie_fan225 said...

I look forward to seeing The Wrestler. Wesley has turned me into a believer. And Beckinsale was stunning. I agree. And when did you start saying "screw" so much?