Monday, January 19, 2009

Speech of the Week #26

Hey guys, welcome to a column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


Today's speech is from Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy. It comes courtesy of a suggestion from my friend Ellis. I've gotten a lot of crap from my friends for liking Chasing Amy. I'm not sure why this is. Honestly, it's one of Kevin Smith's best films. Actually, when I think about it, it's probably his best (if not his most mature work). 

Once Ellis said the words "Chasing Amy" to me, this speech instantly popped up in my mind. This speech is so good that a lot of guys have actually memorized it to say it to say it to a girl that they like. Ellis actually claims to know a guy that used it on his girlfriend. It's definitely some solid writing from Smith. I can definitely say that I've felt the same way that Holden (Affleck) feels in this scene. He basically says the exact words that I've wanted to say. In fact, I feel like I may have used a variation of this very scene myself at one time or another. 

In this scene, Holden confesses his love to Alyssa Jones. His confession is very geniune and heartfelt. His only problem: she's a lesbian. Still, it's a great scene and a great speech.

1 comments:

becca. said...

wow. that was a great speech. but very depressing. never seen this movie though.