Friday, January 16, 2009

Watchmen Lawsuit is Finally Over

Well, it is official. The lawsuit between Fox and Warner Bros. over the rights to Watchmen is finally over. The two studios came to a settlement agreement which they presented to Judge Feess this morning. Here are the following agreements to the settlement:

Warner Bros. gets the right to open the film on March 6, 2009 as planned, and Fox's logo will not be on the film.

Fox will receive from Warners an upfront cash payment pegged between $5 million and $10 million, covering reimbursement of $1.4 million the studio invested in development fees, and also millions of dollars in legal fees incurred during the case.

Fox will also get a gross participation in Watchmen that scales between 5% and 8.5%, depending on the film’s worldwide revenues. Fox also participates as a gross player in any sequels and spinoffs.

As it turns out, Fox will not be distributing the film and will also not own any other piece of the Watchmen property moving forward. I guess that means no cut on merchandise, or the planned simultaneous DVD releases.

Both studios are said to be drafting a release to announce the settlement details which will likely be made public within the next 24 hours.


I'm just glad that all of this crap is finally over. Just look at the picture of the Comedian above- even he's happy about this news. For all I know, this movie sucks. I really don't care. I just want to see the damn thing. Now, it looks like I finally will. Watchmen is coming out on March 6, 2009. It's official, folks. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna grab my tent and go get in line.


4 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

Probably your cheesiest last line ever. Ever.

Wesley said...

I don't see it as cheesy. It's mostly sad. Because it is true.

Austin said...

Oh, we will be in front of the line.

movie_fan225 said...

I'll be right there with you, don't worry. But it is pretty sad.