Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Screw You, Warner Bros.

The other day I got Blade Runner: The Complete 5-Disc Collector's Edition on Blu-ray in the mail. Quickly, I opened it up and put Disc 1, which was labeled as The Final Cut of the movie, into my Blu-ray player. I was surprised when the movie began playing and it wasn't The Final Cut of the movie at all. The footage looked really rough and unfinished. Slowly, I figured out that it was in fact playing the Workprint Cut of the film, which was supposed to be located on Disc 5. So, with my fingers crossed, I put in Disc 5 (which was labeled as the Workprint Cut of the film) and hoped to find The Final Cut on it. What did I find? Another Disc of the Workprint Cut. What the hell? Where is The Final Cut?


I got on the Internet to see if I could find anyone else with a similar problem. Apparently, this happens all the time with this set on Blu-ray. Sometimes it's the other way around- instead of two Workprint Cuts, there will be two Final Cuts. Despite this set being out for over a year now, Warner Bros. has yet to fix the problem or offer any kind of disc replacement policy. 

This is bullsh*t. 

They pulled this same crap with the Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition Set a few years back. In that set, they left off the original mono soundtrack on the first Superman movie and did not include a Special Edition cut of Superman III. They did actually offer a disc replacement policy for that set but, considering that I could care less about Superman III, I just decided to live with my flawed set.

However, The Final Cut of Blade Runner is my favorite cut of the movie. It was the first version of the film that I got to see (I saw it in the theaters last January in Orlando, Fl... it was an amazing experience) and I'd really love to see it in a Blu-ray transfer. However, after sitting on the phone with Warner Bros. tech support for over an hour, I decided to just give up and just send the whole set back to Amazon.com for a full refund. I could try and get a replacement set there but, considering that there are still plenty of flawed sets still floating around (after all, I and many others have received them), I decided it just wasn't worth the risk. With my luck, I'd just get another screwed up set. 

This is ridiculous. This is a problem that should not freaking exist. However, Warner Bros. does it all the time. They rush their box sets out for Christmas and other holidays and they always seem to screw something up in the manufacturing stage. Apparently, they did the same thing with a recent Harry Potter set as well. As much money as they put these things out for, they need to show a little more care and put a little more time in putting out what is advertised. I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse for this crap. 

And for the record, I hope Fox makes them pay out the ass for Watchmen. That's what they get for being loose with their rights, manufacturing and overall business in general. Screw you, Warner Bros.

1 comments:

Austin said...

Usually when a company runs their business like that, the company doesn't last very long. Sadly Hollywood doesn't work that way, so they don't learn from their mistakes. Instead we'll have to teach them about their wrong doings.