Monday, January 5, 2009

Speech of the Week #24

Hey guys, welcome to a column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.

I'm pretty sure that this is the first speech that I've included from a television show. I'm not sure if that's off-limits but, since this is my column, I'm gonna say that it can fly.

Last week, I finally finished watching all 29 hours of the entire series of Twin Peaks. It definitely got insane towards the end (well, it was always kind of insane... but even more than that) and I have to admit that the last image of the show was beyond frustrating (it was left off for a Third Season that was never made). Still, I really enjoyed engrossing myself into this milestone television show for a week's time. I've been sleepless, sick and very pre-occupied with various things for this entire Christmas break and it definitely proved to be a very helpful and sanity-saving distraction. Also, it proved to be one of the few things that actually managed to scare me. I haven't been scared by a movie, let alone a television show, in quite some time. However, I made the mistake of watching the first episode of Season 2 at 2 in the morning one night. That ending just about killed me. Only David Lynch can still get to me these days. Man, that was awful...

Anyways, I'm getting off track. This speech is taken from the two hour pilot episode of Twin Peaks. It is the introduction to Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan). It is probably one of the best character introductions I've seen in a movie or television show in some time. Agent Cooper was definitely my favorite character in the show (and he's most people's from what I understand) and this scene and his speech into his tape recorder manages to really show why. Listening to his fascination with cherry pie and the trees in Twin Peaks will never get old.

0 comments: