Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Dark Knight Is Less Than a Month Away and It Is Already the Best Movie Ever


So, I don't know if you guys have realized it yet, but Christopher Nolan's sequel to Batman Begins entitled The Dark Knight comes out in less than a month.


Less than a month...

Can you believe it? We're almost there. Do I even need to tell you how excited I am right now? I'm beyond excited. Excited doesn't even touch the surface for what I'm feeling for this movie right now. I am literally living for this movie. It's the reason I get up in the morning. I mean, do you guys realize how crazy and awesome this movie is going to be? How dark it's going to be? How much of a solid piece of true, unadulterated filmmaking this is going to be? This is the real deal people. This is a true comic book movie. It's going to be Batman through and through.

Literally every aspect of this film is appealing to me. It's covering not only the Joker's reign of terror on Gotham City (pushing Batman to his limits) but the tragic rise and fall of District Attorney Harvey Dent (one of the greatest stories ever told in the Batman comics). It's got an amazing cast with the likes of Christian Bale, the late Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Maggie Gyllenhaul, Michael Cain, and Gary Oldman. Director Christopher Nolan is one of the most visionary, original, and hardworking directors around. Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker looks like it's going to be absolutely classic. It's one of the only performances actually to give me chills when seeing it unfold just briefly in the theatrical trailers. Every line of dialogue seems unique and thought out in it's delivery... hell, he even makes the way the Joker walks intriguing. His performance looks like it's definitely going to be special and one for the books... I only wish that he could be around to see it. But seriously, it looks like this movie has everything you could ever want in a film: action, drama, tragedy, catharsis, and the works. With a rumored running time of 2 hours and 30 minutes, it truly could be one of the most satisfying comic book films that we've ever seen.

This picture still gives me chills.

Still not convinced that this movie isn't going to be the best thing since sliced bread? Well in the Movie News World today, two new items involving The Dark Knight have come up. The first one is an article on Wired in which they talk to Christopher Nolan about his use of practical effects over computer generated ones. The fact that this guy tries so hard to make a real movie with real effects because he actually understands how distracting and, at times, unnecessary computer generated ones are is truly refreshing. I mean, he actually goes the extra mile just so the film will look better and will be more of a complete and theatrical experience. And he does it for us, the fans. It's sad when people like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas can't realize this fact when it comes to making Indiana Jones and the Kingdom and the Crystal Skull while Nolan, a much younger filmmaker, can show them how it's truly done. Take notes you old farts. You can read that article here.

The other piece of news comes from The Dark Knight's brilliant online viral campaign that's been going on for months. It's a video from Gotham Tonight that showcases the life and times of billionaire Bruce Wayne. It's pretty well put together and has some nice moments. I particularly like how they showcased Bruce's new penthouse suite above the city and the interviews they have with both Bruce and Harvey Dent. All and all, it's just another example of the great marketing campaign for an even greater film. Watch it below.


Are you still not excited for this movie? How could you not be? Like I stated above, my excitement for this film is almost at an unhealthy state. I've already asked for the weekend of July 18th off from work just to allow multiple viewings. I have the soundtrack for Batman Begins on repeat on my iTunes. There's a part of me deep down that wants to dress up as the Joker for opening night. My nerd boner for this film is so strong that I could cut a diamond. I'm breathing this film.

July 18th is my new birthday. Is it yours too?

Sources: Wired, /Film

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait.

Daniel said...

two words midnight showing that is all that needs to be said about this movie

Jason said...

Daniel, you are the best!

Wesley said...

daniel, i'm dressing up as the joker. will you be two face?

Austin said...

We just got in the official Dark Knight costumes at Party City, I was the one to check in the Joker costumes and see how they looked like. They are amazing. They are only child sized costumes, but that won't stop people from still buying and trying to wear them.