Monday, June 9, 2008

New Logo and Cameron Crowe's New Movie!

First, I would like to thank Wesley's brother for the new logo. It is super sweet, and hopefully he will continue to do things like that for us without pay. As Wesley said in his previous post, I will be taking down the original logo and hopefully putting something better in its place. Also, in the coming weeks, I do hope to be putting more movie news on the site. Wesley is the master of opinion pieces and I hope to have the same effect with news stories. Although, I am not able to break any news yet, I hope to be putting relevant stories up in as timely a manner as I possibly can. That being said, on to the most interesting thing I have read today so far.

Crowe's untitled new project will star Ben Stiller and Reese Witherspoon.

Now, when I first read this, I was thrilled. Then on further thought, I could not help but think that Ben Stiller in a Crowe movie could not be that good. As I read some more, it seems that everyone shares this same opinion. I think Crowe's earlier films showed some great promise. Say Anything, Crowe's first directorial effort, is a great movie. Singles and Jerry Maguire were ok. But it wasn't until Almost Famous that Crowe really made a name for himself. But one of the reasons that made Say Anything and Almost Famous so great, other than the autobiographical nature of Almost Famous, was the casting. John Cusack is stellar in Say Anything, and Almost Famous contained a cast of great actors that weren't necessarily A-list at the time. This casting reminds me a lot Elizabethtown. Two well known actors that will probably do fine in their roles that will most likely just give us another mundane effort from Crowe (I do like Elizabethtown though).

This new movie does not have a title, but was the centerpiece of a bidding war between five major studios with Columbia Pictures winning out. It is yet another romantic comedy adventure, but hopefully Crowe can bring some of his charm to the table. Shooting begins January 2009.





1 comments:

Wesley said...

Crowe's films are usually hit-or-miss for me. I loved Almost Famous, enjoyed Vanilla Sky for what it was worth, but I really wasn't into Jerry Maguire. I never saw Elizabethtown because I just could care less about the film. I guess we will see how this turns out. It's obvious the guy has talent as a director but he can definitely misstep from time to time.