Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summer Movies So Far: Part 1

For all of our loyal fans out there, Me and Wesley just got into a fist fight because I have been slacking on my posting lately. As I sit next to Wesley's hospital bed and nurse a couple of fingernail scratches Wesley managed to hit me with before his almost near fatal introduction to my awesome roundhouse/uppercut combination, I thought the least I could do was post a little something. I am going to take a look at the summer movie scene so far, and I plan on keeping up with it throughout the summer. I also plan to compare it often to Hollywood's disastrous effort last summer and to proof as usual why Americans are stupid.




May 2



Iron Man officially kicked off the summer on May 2nd, and thank the movie overlords it did. I don't know about you, but there was never any doubt in my mind that this movie was going to be awesome. Iron Man has made a little over $276mil since its release, and was the number 4 highest grossing film of this past weekend. Iron Man's debut and run could not be any more impressive, and it is a well deserved win for Jon Favreau and crew.

Other major releases for May 2:

Made of Honor (sucks to be them!)


May 9




The next big movie I was looking forward to was Speed Racer. I also, had no doubt in my mind that this movie was going to be awesome. Unfortunately everyone else did. I am so sad that Speed Racer has been a box office disaster. And frankly, there is no reason for that. This movie has everything a kid/adult film has to offer and more. The race scenes were amazing, and coupled with vivid colors and the Wachowski shooting style, it made for a great time, let alone some of the coolest things I have seen on the big screen. A lot of reviewers claimed the plot was weak, but I refuse to believe that. The family elements were were incredibly strong, and the whole backstabbing executives wasn't bad either. This may be one of the more outlandish theories, but I think people are still holding a grudge after seeing the last two Matrix sequels (also, incredibly underrated). I wish people would give it up and support one of the more creative things to come out of Hollywood in a long time. Speed has made over $40mil since its release on May 9 (my birthday by the way) from a budget of $120mil.

Other major releases for May 9:

What Happens In Vegas (Americans are so stupid)


May 16

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian has made $115mil dollars so far. But I didn't see it and I don't really care.


May 22




Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is one of the more retarded things I ever seen. But I did like it, and so did the rest of America. I won't write too much here because I still plan to do a review, but lets just say that this movie has stuff in it only an Indy movie can get away with. Indy4 has been insanely popular, which is great considering this is a sequel in a 19 year old franchise. After opening a day early on Thursday for a 5 day Memorial Weekend, Indy made a whopping $151mil ($25 on Thursday and $126mil on Friday-Monday). Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End rung up a 5 day total of $160mil last Memorial Day making Indy4 the second all-time highest Memorial Day grosser. Indy's 12 Day total through June 2 stands at just over $219mil and should break 300mil by next weekend.

Other major releases for Memorial Day Weekend:

None


May 29



Sex and the City - Again I do not care. I feel I have good taste in movies.

The Strangers - Saw it, and I will have a review up soon. Made a good debut of $21mil on a weekend where Sex and the City opened and Indy was still blowing off momentum.



I'll be back later with a look from June and some upcoming previews for the great movie line-up in July. Until then, here's one more.

1 comments:

Wesley said...

This may be your longest post so far. Good job. I enjoyed the videos. I'm looking forward to your future reviews of Indy and The Strangers.