Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Greatest Musical Moments in Film, Part 4

In the history of film, there have been many great and wonderful moments created by the use of song. No, I'm not talking about taking a popular song and putting it in the film to sell the soundtrack. I'm talking about the use of music to further the story and create a sequence that is not only memorable but powerful to the viewer. These are the kind of sequences that you can't forget after watching the film. These are the sequences that can literally give you goosebumps while you watch them. Some of them are so popular that they have been ingrained into the social consciousness of Americans. Some of them are slightly more obscure but equally as moving as they unfold. In short, these scenes create a little something that I like to call "movie magic." It's rare, but it happens. Through this list of 25 musical moments, I plan on showing the sequence and telling you, the viewer, why I believe that this moment is not only powerful but important to the history of film. I hope you guys enjoy this compilation.

For your sanity and my own, I've decided to cut this article into five parts instead of the two that were originally planned. I'll try to get a part up per day. This should make the list more enjoyable for everyone

Click here to see Part 1 of this List.

Click here to see Part 2 of this List.

Click here to see Part 3 of this List.

Part 5 Coming Soon

10. “In Dreams”- Roy Orbison- Blue Velvet

They really don’t get much weirder or as surreal as this. In the second sequence on this list that features a character in a David Lynch film singing a Roy Orbison song, Hector entertains his new guest Jeffrey (who has been brought to his home by force by Frank and his thugs) by lip-syncing to “In Dreams.” Many refer to this sequence as the “Candy-Colored Clown” scene due to Frank (Dennis Hopper in an insane performance) constantly requesting to hear this song by that phrase. This scene works so well because it takes place in a setting that is just so strange, awkward, and tense with a relatively peaceful song being lip-synched to. The audience is constantly wondering what is going to happen to Jeffrey and when Hopper is going to snap and hurt someone. It’s really hard to describe what makes a David Lynch sequence great and this scene is no exception. I’m not exactly sure why I like it so much but the first time I saw it I knew that I seeing something special. Hopper’s many facial expressions are great and only add to the growing tension in the room. Plus, the fact that Hector is lip-synching to the song and not singing it just makes the scene even creepier and more bizarre. “In Dreams” is also used again in an equally effective sequence later on when Frank finally beats up Jeffrey. To make this scene even weirder, Lynch has a girl get out of the car and start dancing on its roof to the song. Yeah, Lynch is a weird guy. See that scene here.

9. “Needle in the Hay”- Elliott Smith- The Royal Tenenbaums

*Warning: Contains some violence*

The first time I saw this sequence I was pretty taken back. While The Royal Tenenbaums does have its share of dysfunctional family moments, none are more serious, violent, and haunting as this one. I was really fighting to get more Wes Anderson moments on this list since he is so good at putting film to music but, unfortunately, this is his only moment on my list (however, I have quite a few left over for the Honorable Mentions section). So, what makes this moment so special? Well, going along with what I said at the start of this paragraph, this sequence just really shook me up. The song “Needle in the Hay” sounds like it was made perfectly just for this sequence. The way Anderson has his images filmed and edited to the song is absolutely perfect in every way. It’s just good, perfectionist, and emotional filmmaking all around. The images that Anderson creates in this scene, despite being violent and tragic, are absolutely beautiful. Even though Richie states that he is going to kill himself, that image of the blood coming down his arms towards the sink was such a shock to me the first time I saw it. It still gets to me. Finally, the fact that Owen Wilson co-wrote the film and most recently attempted suicide and Elliott Smith did actually kill himself only adds to the sequence’s power. There are a lot of truly great musical moments that Wes Anderson has created but this one is something that I’ll never be able to get out of my head.

8. “Atlantis”- Donovan- Goodfellas

*Warning: NSFW due to language and extremely graphic violence*

If I could, I would put every musical moment from Goodfellas in this list. I truly believe that that film contains some of the greatest film scenes put to licensed music in film history. While the sequence put to Derrick and the Dominoes’ “Layla” almost claimed this spot, I had to go with the “Atlantis” scene. This is a sequence where it’s really hard for me to put my foot down on what makes it so special. Basically all that happens is Joe Pesci gets offended, leaves the bar, then comes back in and beats Frank Vincent’s character (good ole’ Billy Batts) half to death. It’s one of the worst and most visceral beatings I’ve ever seen on film. However, in the hands of another director, it would just be another random act of violence. Scorsese, on the other hand, makes the scene more than that. Somehow, with the use of such a calm and trippy song like “Atlantis,” he makes the violence much worse. It’s a method that director Quentin Tarantino would later use to his advantage in his own filmmaking career. It’s just such a contrast to what’s going on that it makes you more conscious of how awful the act of violence is that is occur. Of course, that shot of De Niro stomping Batt’s face until his tongue flops out doesn’t hurt either. Scorsese also makes to put the audience right in the middle of the violence by having the song climax and hit its chorus right when Pesci knocks the guy to the ground. The feeling of a rush shoots through your body and, suddenly, it feels like you are there, whether you want to be or not. Overall, it’s just really great filmmaking. "I didn't want to get blood on your floor..."

7. “Tiny Dancer”- Elton John- Almost Famous

While I’ve had a few different scenes on here with characters singing along to a song, none are more powerful and moving as the now famous “Tiny Dancer” sing along in Almost Famous. I really don’t feel like I even have to say much to set this clip up. I remember hearing about this clip (and seeing some of it on VH1) before the movie even came out. It’s basically just a rare case of filmmaking magic. They really caught lighting in a bottle with this sequence. I don’t care how hardened your heart is, you cannot help but feel something in this scene. You cannot help but smile just once. The scene marks a point in the film where the band members of Feverdog are very distant from each other and how just one song can bring them all together and remind them just why they all got into the music business together. Some could call the sequence cliché or even mawkish, but I strongly disagree. This scene still moves me as much today as the first time I saw it. It’s one of the best uses of music I’ve ever seen in a film to help tell a story and I deeply respect that.

6. “The End”- The Doors- Apocalypse Now


What filmmaker has the balls to start his movie with a song entitled “The End?” Francis Ford Coppola, that’s what filmmaker. Although the man almost went insane during the filming of this movie, Apocalypse Now ended up being not only one of the greatest movies ever made but one of the most influential ones. The craft that went into creating this movie is absolutely impeccable. It’s just damn perfect in my humble opinion. While the entire movie is great, the film still has one of my favorite openings that I’ve ever seen in a movie. Everything about it is just perfect in my eyes. From the eerie echo of the helicopter blades in the opening shot to the chorus of “The End” kicking in as napalm is dropped over a forest in Vietnam, the sequence is filled with images and sounds that are impossible to get out of your head. The sequence manages to put you in directly into Martin Sheen’s character’s state of mind and what he’s been going through in just a matter of seconds. Two minutes haven’t passed before you’re starting to feel as war-worn and paranoid as he is. Even his ceiling fan starts to sound like a helicopter blade. However, it is Sheen’s naked, drunken breakdown (which was actually real, believe it or not) to the climax of the “The End” that brings this opening to a whole other level. I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing by the time it was over. In seven minutes, I felt like I had literally been through hell. Not many filmmakers can do that through directing, editing, and scoring. While “The End” is also used very effectively at the end of the film as well, it is the opening that has always stated with me. For that, it is number 6 on the list.

Part 5 Coming Soon.

What do you guys think so far? What would you like to see appear on the list? What do you think is coming up next? Please let me know.

1 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

First of all, I just want to say that I got a Blackberry today, and YDKS is my homepage on it. Just so you guys know how much you mean to me.
Also, great list Wesley! I really didn't think you could top the last one, but you pulled it off. I'm really happy an Almost Famous clip made it into the top 10. Definitely one of my favorite movies. Also, you have no idea how haunting I find that scene in the Royal Tenenbaums. It's so bizarre and grotesque, yet so clean and bright at the same time. It's eerie. Good work.