Thursday, June 26, 2008

No Thanks


I was working on a much longer post for today (in which I did nothing but sleep, avoid the beach and read my Stephen King novel) but it doesn't look like I'll have enough time to finish it tonight. Because of that, I figured I'd show you guys why I am not looking forward to two movies coming out soon.


First up is a new poster for the film Dragonball. Based on the popular anime show, Dragonball is directed by James Wong, the director of Final Destination 1 and 3, and stars Justin Chatwin, Emmy Rossum, and Chow Yung Fat. I know a lot of people around my dorm that are actually excited about this movie. Well, guess what. It looks awful. I never was into the big Dragonball Z phase. I actually remember enjoying the original Dragonball series but, as for Dragonball Z, it just got too weird and well... anime for me. I'm sorry but I just cannot stand anime. I've just never been into it. With that aside, just look at the poster above. It is laughably bad. Why is Goku an American kid made up to look Japanese? That looks borderline offensive to me... and kind of hilarious. Seriously, I could not get through this movie without laughing every time this kid would come on screen. He looks ridiculous. Why couldn't they just cast an Asian actor instead? I mean, this series already has a huge following anyway. It's not like casting an Asian for an Asian character would keep fans and other like-minded Americans from seeing this film. It's times like these when I really question the logic of Hollywood. Also, why cast Chow Yung Fat as Master Roshi? Yeah, at least he's Asian, but come on, he looks nothing like Master Roshi. Just look at the picture below and then compare it to the poster above.

 Yeah, I thought it was funny too.

Luckily, I don't care enough about Dragonball for all of this Hollywoodization to upset me. However, I can at least state the fact that it looks like it will shape up to be an abomination of film. It comes out in 2009. I won't be there.



The second item above is the trailer for Disaster Movie, the latest parody / spoof film from the guys that "created" such classics as Date Movie, Epic Movie, and Meet the Spartans that comes out later this summer. This trailer is the polar opposite of funny. In fact, it's anti-funny. It actually makes me want to kill myself just for sharing the same planet with the people that not only created this piece of garbage but that actually find it funny. How is this funny? It actually defeats the purpose of the spoof film- it doesn't even focus on the disaster film element. How do you mess that up? Instead, it just focuses on random non-disaster film elements such as Iron Man, Hannna Montana, Hancock (really random IMO), Sex and the City, Enchanted, and Juno. Yeah, basically everything that is popular right now or will soon be popular (the Hancock thing is really in the air right now). 

I really didn't want to post this trailer on YDKS. It honestly doesn't even deserve to be on our page. However, it is so unbelievably unfunny, awful, and just plain terrible that it has to be watched at least once to be believed. If you watch this film and enjoy on even the tiniest level, then you don't deserve to be able to watch movies. I'm serious. This is the kind of thing that is responsible for the decline of Western civilization. I'd rather watch a live abortion than watch this film.

No thanks, Hollywood. I'll just remember how good The Dark Knight was instead.

2 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

First of all, are you also not into knowing how to spell "phase"? Good call, English major. Second, I really enjoyed the Dragonball and Dragonball Z series as a kid, but this movie doesn't look very good to me... Prolly won't be seeing it, because I don't want to ruin all the good memories I have of watching the show.
And the only thing funny about the Disaster Movie trailer was the fact that they cast a man to play Sarah Jessica Parker, and he actually looks like her. Other than that, I could find more interesting and funny things in my stool than in that POS.

Wesley said...

I didn't have time to proof read due to an awful Internet connection. You jerk.