Saturday, June 14, 2008

New Jason Mask Revealed for Friday the 13th Remake

Chi-Chi-Chi-Chi-Ha-Ha-Ha....

In case you guys haven't heard the news, Platinum Dunes, the guys behind the remakes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Amityville Horror, and The Hitcher are remaking the infamous slasher gore-filled classic Friday the 13th. Marcus Nispel, the director of the surprisingly entertaining Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, is at the helm and the film is set to be released on February 13, 2009. And yes, that's a Friday the 13th. After all, they couldn't pass that up, could they?

I'm not the biggest fan of Platinum Dunes. They tend to make soulless, style driven remakes that have little to do with the spirit of the original films that they are remaking. Plus, Michael Bay, the anti-Christ, is one of their main producers. However, unlike most films they have remade, I'm not that against a remake of Friday the 13th. The series has always just been about kills, gore, and ... well, more blood. There's not really that much they can rape. As long as they have Jason in there, a couple of stereotypical, horny teens, and a ridiculous kill count, I'm happy. Because, let's be honest, that's all the Friday the 13th films are about. Stupid, horny kids get together at Camp Crystal Lake, have lots of sex, and then good ole' Jason comes in and punishes them for their sins. It's really quite simple. It's going to be really hard to mess that up. But who knows, maybe Platinum Dunes will.

Anyways, yesterday, since it was Friday the 13th and all, MTV.com released the video above of some on-set footage and the big reveal of Jason's mask. And, yeah... it looks like a hockey mask. Good job, guys. I don't know how you could have screwed that aspect up so I'm glad you didn't. However, a lot of fan boys on a few different film sites have their panties in a wad because 1) Mrs. Voorhees isn't the killer and 2) They said that Jason would be wearing the hood he wore in Part 2 and some of Part 3. Personally, I could care less. All I want to see is big, badass Jason back in action and destroying everything in his path. So far, that is what Platinum Dunes seems to be promising. And don't get me wrong, I go way back with the Friday the 13th series. When I was just a wee child, my grandfather would take me to our local video store and we'd rent Friday the 13th movies. I just thought that they were funny. Heck, I still think they're funny. And as for the hood argument... well, according to Blooding-Disgusting.com's very positive set visit, which you can read right here, the hood will still be used in the movie. But I say, who cares about the hood? I mean, really. The hood was lame. And I mean, really lame. It was just a bag that Jason wore over his head with one eye hole cut out. Give me the hockey mask, I don't want the hood.

Anyways, I think this is one of the few remakes that will actually be fun to watch. Honestly, I just want to see big, bad Jason back on the big screen with a hockey mask and an insanely huge machete. Yes, it is pretty lame that Kane Hodder was once again not asked to come back as Jason (he played the big guy in Parts 6, 7, 8, Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X). However, I can live with it. Sure, Hodder brought alot of physicality to role but he's not absolutely necessary for the film to work. Overall, consider me hopeful. I really feel like this one could be fun.

And yes, I found this article to be the perfect opportunity to post on of Jason's most mean-spirited kills ever. Even the guy in the wheelchair is fair game.... Harsh, Jason, really harsh...

Source: MTV

2 comments:

Wesley said...

Hey Jason, I just got on and saw that you managed to center my videos but the text was all out of whack. Half of it was colored blue while the rest was in italics. Anyways, I fixed it all but I found that strange.

Jason said...

Sorry I messed up the text man. I didn't even realize. I am kinda looking forward to this, but looks just like a standard concept for concept remake. Not that there is much concept to work with, its just that the mask is exactly the same.