Saturday, September 27, 2008

Acting Legend Paul Newman Has Died

Earlier today, news came in that legendary actor Paul Newman passed away last night at the age of 83. Here's the news via Cinematical:

"Legendary actor Paul Newman passed away late last night of cancer. He was 83. Throughout his career in Hollywood, Newman was nominated for countless awards, including Oscars (nominated for ten and didn't win until his seventh time ... and stayed home the year he won!), an Emmy and even a Grammy. Newman's most memorable roles came in films like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Color of Money (for which he won an Oscar), The Hustler, The Long Hot Summer, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Sting, Cool Hand Luke ... and so many more. In his down time, Newman was married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years, and is also very well known for his philanthropic ways, his race car driving and business ventures (Newman's Own ...). His final role came as the voice of Doc Hudson in Pixar's Cars."

This is very sad news. I had heard that Newman was suffering from a bad case of cancer and that this would probably be his last year. Unfortunately, it looks like that was true. I'll be honest- I did not really grow up watching Newman's films despite him being a film legend. I did watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a lot back when I was a kid but, other than that, I did not really see a lot of Newman's films. Still, this doesn't mean the man wasn't a legend. I know a lot of my friends are huge fans of Cool Hand Luke. I've been meaning to watch it with them. Perhaps I will now.

R.I.P. Mr. Newman. You will be missed.

Source: Cinematical

2 comments:

thomas said...

If you would like to see a good work by Newman in his older years, I recommend Road to Perdition. It also stars Tom Hanks and a pre-007 Daniel Craig.

Wesley said...

Yeah, I almost mentioned that movie in my article. He was really good in that.