Sunday, September 14, 2008

First Look: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus


Let me first say how much I admire Terry Gilliam's work. From his time in Monty Python, to films like Time Bandits, Brazil, and Twelve Monkeys, Gilliam has established himself as one of the great visionary film makers. And while there are a couple of his films I have still yet to see, I have enjoyed each movie he has directed with the exception of Tideland (In fairness, Gilliam himself warned me I would probably hate it).

Gilliam's new effort is shaping up to be quite interesting. And not just because it is Heath Ledger's final starring role. Rather, it looks to be on par with Gilliam's early classics such as Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Below is a small featurette spanning Gilliam's career while giving us a taste of the brilliance to come from The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.





Sources: Quick Stop Entertainment via ComingSoon

4 comments:

Wesley said...

Looks like it got removed. I didn't get to watch it in time. Dang.

Jason said...

It is back Wes. It is not as good of quality though, but should still be worth the watch!

Wesley said...

Finally got around to watching it. Looks like it could good but I'm still not completely sold. Some actual footage from the movie would be nice. Most likely I will see it for the Ledger footage. I gotta admit though- I sorta wish The Dark Knight was his last film. There's no way he could top that performance (especially with a performance that wasn't even completed).

Jason said...

Yeah, most people are going to go see this movie just because of Heath. It's sad that the success of Doctor Parnassus is going to be directly related to Heath's death when it looks like Gilliam is doing his best to give us something fresh.