Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Office Returns and Scrubs Will Be Missed (Until January)


Thursday nights are back, and I cannot express how elated/relieved I am. With the writer's strike safely behind us and the threat of another years away, we can all look forward to watching full, uninterrupted seasons of our favorite shows. Although the new television season began officially Monday night, Thursday is the only day of the week I look forward too because of (drum roll please) The Office.

Tonight will be the hour-long premiere of the 5th season and, as always, expect it to be good. However, we will not see another episode until October 9th due to the Presidential/Vice Presidential debate next Thursday. Truthfully, I tend not to care about the country so much when The Office is supposed to be on. Below are the plot outlines for the first 3 episodes from NBC. I haven't read them, and I won't because blackouts are my specialty.

WEIGHT LOSS (Sept. 25)
For the first time, we see what happens over eight weeks of the summer, as a Dunder Mifflin weight loss initiative causes the branch to diet and become obsessed with their weight. Michael (Steve Carell) pursues a friendship with his new HR rep, Holly (Oscar nominee, Amy Ryan). Jim (John Krasinski) misses Pam (Jenna Fischer) who attends art school in New York. Dwight (Rainn Wilson), Andy (Ed Helms) and Angela (Angela Kinsey) attend to unfinished business. B.J. Novak, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Oscar Nunez, Brian Baumgartner, Leslie David Baker, Phyllis Smith, Creed Bratton and Craig Robinson also star.

BUSINESS ETHICS (Oct. 9)
Following Ryan’s (B.J. Novak) recent scandal at corporate, Holly (guest star Amy Ryan) must hold a business ethics seminar. The meeting gets out of control when Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) lets everyone speak freely about their unethical behavior at work. Meanwhile, Jim (John Krasinski) makes Dwight (Rainn Wilson) comply with the company’s “time theft” policy. Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez and Creed Bratton also star.

BABY SHOWER (Oct. 16)
Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) practices for the birth of Jan’s (Melora Hardin) baby by having Dwight (Rainn Wilson) go over possible birthing scenarios. Meanwhile, Michael tells Holly (guest star Amy Ryan) that he will pretend to dislike her for Jan’s benefit. John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, B.J. Novak, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton and Craig Robinson also star.




On a much sadder note, Scrubs will no longer be a part of NBC's new Thursday night lineup. Worse still, is that Scrubs is looking to be a mid-season replacement show on ABC for Tuesday nights. So while I am thrilled to be getting an 8th season, it will not come for another 4 months or so.


In the meantime, keep looking to YDKS for everything Office, Scrubs, and maybe even some My Name Is Earl. Expect reviews, news, and more to come in the following weeks. It's going to be good!

6 comments:

Wesley said...

I am looking forward to The Office with much enthusiasm. We really got jipped back last year by the writer's strike. I'm just hoping this actor's strike thing doesn't happen. If The Office gets a limited run again I'm going to lose my mind. The episodes were good last year but, due to the limited number of them, it just didn't have the impact or the completeness of the other seasons. I hope Season 5 will be able to return to that feeling that Season 2 and 3 gave me.

Also, they need to break up Jim and Pam. I need that conflict again. They can't be together until the show finally ends as far as I'm concerned.

As for Scrubs, I can't share your excitement. I've never been a fan of the show. Sorry.

Big Mike Mendez said...

No love for 30 Rock?

Jason said...

I haven't really gotten into 30 Rock Mike. I have started multiple times and have just never followed through.

Fletch said...

I've long enjoyed Scrubs (mostly seen via syndication/reruns), but it's really time to let it go. I feel pain for it for lasting this long. It's way beyond relevant at this point, no?

T.S. said...

I'm glad to find another safe haven for those as into The Office as I am... I came to the stunning realization this week that it's the only network television show I watch.

Jason said...

Fletch, Scrubs is still very relevant. I have been re-watching Season 7 on Comedy Central, and the writing on those episodes really mirror the writing in earlier seasons that made Scrubs so successful in the first place.

T.S., other than Scrubs, The Office is the only show I will actually plan my life around. But I have found myself caught up in the daily reruns of Jon and Kate Plus 8 numerous times.