Sunday, September 7, 2008

Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler is Gonna Be Awesome


The Wrestler is the movie that my roommate Caleb and I have been wanting to make all our lives.


Starting in about the fourth grade, we both become obsessed with professional wrestling. And I mean obsessed. I remember getting offended whenever someone ever tried to convince me that wrestling was fake or insisted that being apart of the NWO was awesome (since they were the heels at the time, I was against them in every way). For me, it started off by renting old WWE and WCW Pay-Per-View VHS tapes at my local video store. After that, I began watching WCW Monday Night Nitro on TNT religiously. As the years went by, I slowly made the transition to watching WWE Raw on USA and staying up past my bed-time on Monday nights just to finish the show. 

Sooner than later, we formed our own backyard wrestling organization and began holding matches on the trampoline in my front yard. We had our own theme music and even filmed some of the matches. My finishing move was the DDT.

Everyday, I would post on wrestling forums and would read the latest wrestling news.

I was obsessed.

So you can understand why I would be pumped about Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain) making a realistic film about professional wrestling and how the system really works. Sure, Beyond the Mat was awesome and all, but you can't beat a feature film by Aronofsky starring Mickey Rourke as a washed-up wrestler trying to make a comeback while also dealing with the threat of his heart giving out in the process.

Well, it turns out that I was in the right for getting pumped about this movie because it premiered at the Venice Film Festival this past week and the reception was incredibly positive. In fact, the movie was so good that it won The Golden Lion, which is the top award for the Venice Film Festival. Right now, there is major buzz for not only Aronofsky's direction but Mickey Rourke's performance (which many reviewers are calling Oscar worthy). 

Personally, I hope it turns out that way. I've been a big fan of Rourke ever since he began his comeback into film with Sin City (and, after looking into his older films, Angel Heart has become a favorite of mine). It'd be great to see that comeback actually include an Oscar win. It'd also be great to see Aronofsky get some gold himself, especially after the ridiculous critical backlash that he got for The Fountain (which is probably one of the best movies I've seen). 

So, overall, it looks like this thing is going to be insanely good. I cannot tell you how pumped I am about it. Aronofsky is finally gonna put all those wrestling nay sayers in their place with this film. Sure, they have scripts and the outcome of the match is planned but the wrestlers still take an insane amount of abuse. I think it's about time that that lifestyle got portrayed properly in film.

Let's face it- this could be the Raging Bull of wrestling. 

Source: /Film

6 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

Raging Bull of wrestling? Seriously? Cmon... I won't go into my take on wrestling, because I know I'll never hear the end of it.

Wesley said...

Blossom. I hate you,

movie_fan225 said...

Don't hate just because I have a differing opinion. Also, do you see any other comments on this post? Because if my eyes don't fail me, I b believe I'm the only one other than you. And I can take my business elsewhere... Asshat.

Jason said...

Wrestling is awesome and always will be. I am a little late, but I am here to jump on your gravy train Wes. "The Raging Bull of wrestling?" I like that, and I am in agreement. This will be the movie to take Ready to Rumble out of the top spot for wrestling movies for sure!

Wesley said...

Good to have some back up on that. Thanks, Jason. And I still believe that it will be the Raging Bull of wrestling (in related news, I've already read one review stating that it is the Rocky of wrestling).

As for Ready to Rumble, I actually own that on DVD. In fact, it was one of the first DVDs that I ever watched / owned. Sure, it was an awful movie but man I was so obsessed with wrestling back then that it honestly didn't matter.

Daniel said...

Dude anything that has to do with wrestling i will be there... i enjoyed the reference to beyond the mat what a great wrestling movie that i think alot of people don't know about... all i have to say is that the wolf pack was off the chain i wish i still had my shirt..... Oh the glorious days of my childhood how i miss thee wrestling is awesome and so r u wesley for sharing that passion with me