Monday, September 1, 2008

There is Hope

In case you guys haven't heard, Disaster Movie, the latest anti-cinema / humor effort from Friedberg / Seltzer, bombed this weekend after it opened at number 7 with only $6.8 million.


Thank God.

I honestly believed this movie was going to do good. Let's face it- these terrible movies always do good because all these stupid people keep going to see them. After all, their last effort Meet the Spartans opened at number 1. I still don't know how that happened. But really, I can't tell you how happy I am that this film bombed. Never have I wanted a movie to do bad as much as I have wanted Disaster Movie to do bad. This movie looked worse than most of Friedberg /Seltzer's efforts. I mean, it doesn't even really have anything to do with disaster films. It's just hodgepodge of lame pop culture references that have nothing to do with each other and segments that usually end with one pop culture reference hitting another pop culture reference in the testicles. That's about it.

I'm not sure why this movie bombed. I was pretty positive that it was going to open up in the top three... mostly because I've lost all hope in the general movie goer. Well, at least I had lost hope. Maybe... just maybe, that hope has been restored. I don't know if it was the whole thing about it opening on the three year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina or the ongoing threat of Hurricane Gustave but I like to think, deep down, it was the fact that people are finally wising up to the fact that these are awful movies. Please, let that be the real reason. It would make me feel so much better. 

More good news from this weekend's box office is the news of College, the sad rip off of movies like Superbad and Animal House (only much more poorly done) completely bombed by opening up at number 15 with only $2.6 million dollars. I cannot tell you how satisfying this news was. Well... maybe not as satisfying as the news as Disaster Movie bombing but it is pretty satisfying. 

Over the past few weeks, I've come to really hate College and it's marketing campaign. Every time I've seen a new advertisement for it, I've become more and more sickened by it. In fact, I almost wrote a Super Fast Post of the Week on my growing hate for this film. It's just such a terrible rip-off of so many movies that it is sickening. Just look at the main characters- Superbad anyone? Replace Michael Cera with Drake Bell, Jonah Hill with that insanely annoying blonde fat kid (seriously, every time I see a new advertisement on this film I come to hate this kid more and more), and McLovin' with that skinny kid with glasses. Hey, look- it's the same character types. And hey look, it's the same sex comedy involving college that you've seen a thousand times before.

I'm sick of these college-is-so-crazy movies. I really hate it. Anyways, I watched a clip from this movie on Rotten Tomatoes just to see how bad it was and man, it was bad. Really bad. Like, more offensive than funny bad. So I'm very glad that movie bombed like crazy.

In more good box office news, The Dark Knight moved up to the number 3 spot this weekend and finally went over the $500 million spot (it's at $504.6 million). The only other movie to ever go over the $500 million mark was Titanic. It took Titanic 91 days to go over the $500 million mark; The Dark Knight only took 45 days. So The Dark Knight is still a beast. However, it is looking very doubtful that it will be able to take Titanic's top spot at $600 million.

So, overall, great news from the weekend box office, folks. It is looking like there is some hope out there for bad movies to do bad and good movies to do good. Let's just hope that it stays that way. 

1 comments:

Jason said...

I still have hope that the Dark Knight is going to be Titanic. I don't care what the analysts say!