Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Captain America FTW

For the past few days, there was a ridiculous rumor that Will Smith of all people was being tapped by Marvel to play none other than Captain America.

This rumor hit the web on Monday but, because it was so ridiculous (at least to me), I decided to not post about it. Well, not surprisingly, Marvel has come out and said that Will Smith is not up for the role after all. And why would he be? I mean, not to be racist or anything, but Captain American is not, nor ever has he been, African American. He's just always been a white guy. It would be silly to change that now. And would you ever see a Captain America movie starring Will Smith as Steve Rogers? I know I wouldn't (but, then again, I cannot stand Will Smith... so maybe that might play into it).

Anyways, the main point of this article is not really to bring attention to this ridiculous casting rumor that hit the web but showcase a clip from the original much lamented Captain America movie from 1990. 

Yes, there was a Captain America movie made in 1990. And it was absolutely terrible.

I can remember renting this movie as a kid and just feeling like like something was really off. Way off. This movie is just bad. While they definitely got the look of Captain America and the Red Skull down, everything else was just repugnant. 

I had basically completely forgotten about this movie until my friend Ellis brought it up the other day and my memories of it hit me like a sledgehammer. Man, it was bad. To make sure of my memories of the film, I did some searching on YouTube the other day for some clips and I found the only part of the movie that I can still remember. Watch it below. For some reason, it is in Italian but, to be honest, that doesn't really matter. 


Wow. So bad... yet so good. They need to release this thing on DVD as soon as possible. My favorite parts of the clip are when the Red Skull randomly switches from Italian to English (and what a random line to do it on... "The pen of my aunt is on the table...") and when, given a choice to either cut Captain America's hand off or his own in order to not get taken along on the rocket ride, he chooses his own. The whole thing is just so ridiculous. But, I gotta admit, I really enjoyed watching it.

The bottom line is that, whatever Marvel comes up with in their new film that showcases this character, it cannot be any worse than what they came up with for this 1990 version.

... But they still need to release this version on DVD. Because I would buy it in a heart beat.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I have honestly never seen this. But I am definitely interested now. Thanks a lot Wes. Like I needed to waste anymore time.

movie_fan225 said...

Awesomely bad. Awesomely.