Monday, September 22, 2008

Speech of the Week #9

Hey guys, welcome to a new column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.

This week's speech is probably the scariest speech / sequence that you will ever see on this list.

When I was a child, I can remember watching the classic Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory multiple times a week. Every time I watched it, I was always terrified and confused by the psychedelic boat ride sequence. It was so out of place with the rest of the film, unexpected, and truly messed up.

Anyways, last week, I was watching Nostalgic Critic videos (as I mentioned yesterday) and I found this scene featured in his Top 11 Scariest Nostalgic Moments Countdown. After re-watching it and hearing his comments, I have to say- what the hell was the point of this scene? It's sadistic, creepy and completely out of tone with the rest of the film. And what was up with all those terrible images that kept getting shown on the screens? Did I just see a chicken get its head chopped off? What kind of movie is this? One minute we're singing about living in a world of imagination and the rest we're on a boat ride to hell with images on snakes on people's faces and decapitations flowing around us. What the crap?

To top it all off, Willy Wonka (the great Gene Wilder) gives the creepiest speech / song I've ever heard in a movie. And of course, to top it all off, he gives the yell that could only come from a hell beast at the very end of the speech.

How was I able to sleep at night as a child? And how do I not have more mental problems? Willy Wonka, I'm blaming my OCD on you. This is all your fault you sick freak.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Seriously man. I gave you a great suggestion, and you just totally blew it off. It's sad man. I am going to have to do a rival Speech of the Week.

Wesley said...

Maybe I'm just saving it.

Also, the fact that I've never seen that movie probably has something to do with it.

Martha said...

I jumped a little when I saw that picture of Willy Wonka. The entire movie scared me as a child and scares me now. I refuse to watch the latest one with Johnny Depp and make Matt change the channel whenever it comes on TV. ::shudder::

Anonymous said...

I agree with Martha. This movie always terrfied me as a kid, what with the oompa loompas singing songs about how you're gonna die. This scene especially was frightening. I hope I can get to sleep tonight Wesley