Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are Making Spider-man 4... and 5


First off, sorry I haven't posted in the past few days. I've been at my house over the weekend and for some reason the internet has been down there. So, because of that, I have been off the grid for the past few days. I'll try and make up for it tonight.


The biggest news from this weekend is the very surprising story (at least to me) that director Sam Raimi and actor Tobey Maguire are signed on to do Spider-man 4... and 5. What?

According to /Film, Raimi and Maguire will be filming Spider-man 4 and will be shooting (pun intended) for a May 2011 release for Sony. The film will based on a screenplay by James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) which apparently leaves open for a sequel in its final pages. Because of this, Sony has decided to shoot Spider-man 4 and 5 back-to-back.

Wow. I honestly did not see this coming. After Spider-man 3, I was pretty sure that Raimi, Maguire and the rest of the crew were pretty much done with Spidey. Although I knew Spider-man 4 was inevitable, I was pretty sure it would be a re-envisioning of the character and possibly the start of a new trilogy with a new cast, crew and direction. I mean, did anyone else see Spider-man 3? Not only was the film torn apart by critics but it was pretty much universally spat upon. It was obvious that no one involved in the film (from Raimi to Maguire and the rest of the cast) was really into the story or direction of the film. It just felt like a forced and bored effort. I thought it was pretty obvious that it was going to be the last outing for everyone involved.

So, with that said, this news is very surprisingly. Before Spider-man 3, if you told me Raimi and Maguire were going to be sticking around for five Spider-man films, I'd be pumped about it. However, Spider-man 3 was so offensively and embarrassingly bad, I'm not too sure how I feel about this news. I love Sam Raimi as much as the next movie nerd, but man he really screwed up what could have been the greatest superhero film ever in ways that I did not even know were possible. Anyone else remember emo Peter Parker thrusting his hips while walking down the sidewalk? Or how about that jazz club scene that felt like it was right out of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Or how about horrible lines such as "Gimme some shade, hot legs," or, "You want forgiveness? Get religion"? Never have I been so embarrassed and ashamed watching a movie in the theater. Seriously, watching Spider-man 3 on the big screen with a big group of my friends on opening night was one of the worse nights of my life. After the movie ended, all my friends came up to me and gave me a hug. It was the same reaction I would have gotten if they had learned one of my loved ones had died. Well... one had. As far as I was concerned, we had just watched the rape and murder of Spider-man himself... and it was two and half hours long...

Whew... it always feels good to get that little rant off my chest. It's been a year and half and it's still a traumatic thing to talk about. Anyways...

Maybe this could be good. Yeah, I was really just hoping for a re-envisioning of the character after what happened with Spider-man 3 but who knows... maybe it could be good. After all, these two guys are responsible for Spider-man and Spider-man 2- both of which were two of the best superhero films ever made. I honestly don't know how they will be able to get over the massive side-step that was Spider-man 3 but maybe it is possible. I mean, they can just act like it didn't happen. Right? Right?

Okay, this could be bad. But, who knows, maybe all the hate that was generated toward Spider-man 3 will cause Raimi to get back into his element and make an insanely good Spider-man film again. It's doubtful... but it is what I'm crossing for fingers for.

Just don't embarrass me again, guys. Please. I've tried to be good all my life... just do me this one thing. It'd mean a lot.

Source: /Film

1 comments:

Jason said...

I want to see this really bad!...Not!!