Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Want to Buy These


I guess I missed the memo on this but basically everyone cartoon series that I loved as a child is now on DVD. Well, maybe not every one of them... but most of them anyways. Let me elaborate.

First off is Tiny Toons: Season 1 (Volume 1), which you can see pictured above. I brought this show up in my Cartoons, Comics, and Culture class (yeah, that's actually a class... and it's awesome) and made the point that I actually think it was better than its predecessor Looney Toons. How many times does a younger version of a popular show actually turn out better than the original version? Well, not many times but I guess having Steven Spielberg behind it probably helps things (keep in mind that Spielberg was at work on stuff like Jurassic Park while this show was being aired). You may be asking yourself, why a volume 1 for Season 1? Well, unlike most series when they do this, it is actually necessary this time. Believe it or not, Tiny Toons: Season 1 was actually 65 episodes long. Yeah, 65. That's pretty insane. So, obviously, they had to split the Season up some.

This DVD is priced at $44.98 but you can get it for $30 on Amazon if you're interested. I know that I am. This show really was great. Now, if only they would release the short film they did for the show called How I Spent My Summer Vacation. I have a VHS of this short that I literally wore out. The part when they pick up the serial killer on the way to the theme park was hilarious.

Speaking of Steven Spielberg cartoons, three volumes of The Animaniacs are also available on DVD. This was definitely one of my favorite TV shows of all time as a child. It was always not only funny but especially clever when it came to parodying various films and pop culture (my favorite on-going parody being the Goodfellas pigeons called the Goodfeathers). The DVDs are individually priced at $44.98 but you can get them on Amazon for only $21.49 a piece. 

While we are on The Animaniacs, the show's spin-off Pinky and the Brain is also available on DVD. While I always preferred The Animaniacs to this show, there are a lot of die hard fans out there that swear that this was the better show. I don't necessarily agree with them but it still is pretty great. Much like The Animaniacs DVDs, you can get three Volumes of the shows for $21.49 a piece on Amazon

While we're on the top of Steven Spielberg cartoon series, Freakazoid: The First Season is also on DVD. While I did not watch this show as regularly as I did the previous shows on this list, I do remember it being pretty awesome. I recently watched the "Fanboy" episode during a movie night at Heroes and Dreams and it was some good stuff. You can get the show on Amazon for only $18.99.

So that's about it. I mostly just wanted to share to you all that these DVDs are out there waiting for you to buy them. I'm not sure why I wasn't aware of them being out. I've been living under a rock I guess. These shows were a huge part of my childhood and I have a lot of great memories associated with them (like getting up early Saturday morning and eating a whole box of powdered donuts while watching Pinky and The Brain... man, I was fat). I haven't bought any of them yet... but I can definitely see a purchase or two occurring in the near future.

3 comments:

movie_fan225 said...

What's with the lack of pictures at the top and bottom? I think you chose the wrong site to hobart pictures from, Wesblo.

Wesley said...

fixed

movie_fan225 said...

Better. U.P.D.A.T.E. P.L.E.A.S.E.