Friday, September 26, 2008

Current Events: Jetpacks Are Still Cool



BBC News is reporting today that a former Swiss Military pilot has become to first man to fly solo across the English Channel using only a single, jet propelled wing. Taking only 10 minutes to complete the 22 mile journey, the 49 year old, Yves Rossy, flew on a plane to more than 8200ft, turned on his jets, and hopped out flying from Calais to Dover where he parachuted safely to land. He is affectionately known as "Fusionman."

I thought this was a pretty cool story, and I am prepared to purchase the action figure. But like so many current events today, I always find myself relating them to the movies constantly playing in my head. So without further ado, here are my Top 5 Favorite Jet-Propelled Characters.


5. Turbo-Man (Jingle All The Way)

Even though this is a terrible movie, I find myself watching it every Christmas. But it is not because I plan it out like I do with A Christmas Story, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and many others. It just happens to find its way on ABC or ABC Family, and when I am flipping through the channels, I usually get stuck there. Anyway, Turbo-Man is pretty cool, and who doesn't want their dad to be a superhero that can fly?


4. The Rocketeer (The Rocketeer)

I have not seen this movie in an incredibly long time. But me and my roommate were talking about it recently and I will most likely be watching it soon. I don't know about you, but when I think of jet-packs, The Rocketeer is one of the first characters that come to mind. Although the movie was released in 1991, I like to think it still maintains an iconic, unforgettable status in the minds of the general public today.


3. Iron Man (Iron Man)

Seriously, Iron Man was awesome! There is really nothing left to say. I have always loved Jon Favreau's work, and I thought he proved he could direct action movies when he released Zathura. But Iron Man blew everyone's expectations out of the water. Before this movie, Iron Man was just another comic book hero. And now he is the most unforgettable, jet-pack wielding superhero ever!


2. Buzz Lightyear (Toy Story)

I was always a big fan of Buzz. And when he realizes that he can't use his jet-pack for real, it is one of the saddest moments of that movie. People of all ages still know who Buzz Lightyear is. Heck, it looks like Fusionman above wants to be Buzz Lightyear. Now that Toy Story 3 is officially going to be released in a couple years, Buzz will be back and better than ever!


1. Boba Fett (Star Wars)

Boba Fett is one of the most revered villains ever created. He doesn't talk much, his outfit is darkly awesome, and - yep you guessed it - he has a jet-pack. There are few things I love about the Prequels, but upon watching them recently, I have to say I enjoyed the experience. In Attack of the Clones when Boba has to watch his father die and he takes his dad's helmet (presumably with Jango's severed head still in there) and places it to his own head, it is pretty revealing and powerful (and pretty sick). We get a sense of why Boba is the way he is. He continues on with his father's legacy and wears the jet-pack propelled suit in fitting succession. It is one of the great tragedies that Boba has to die so easily at the hands of a blind Han Solo and the jet-pack that made him so cool in the first place.


On a side note: Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for the Nintendo 64 was one of the greatest games ever. And you get to fly with your very own jet-pack! Also, has anyone else seen the movie The Boy Who Could Fly? I wanted to include him in the list, but the dude is so awesome, he doesn't need a jet-pack.

4 comments:

Wesley said...

Nice list. I took the liberty of fixing two of your pictures that wouldn't show. Hope you don't mind.

The Rocketeer is awesome. I would actually put him at number two. I bought the DVD over the summer to relive some of my childhood. It's pretty cheesy at times, but overall, it's pretty wonderful as well. For me, though, I'll always remember that action figure I had of him.

I used to watch Jingle All the Way a lot as a kid. Man, that was such a terrible movie. But Turbo Man was pretty cool.

You can never go wrong with the Fett man. Shadows of the Empire was the best Star Wars game ever made as far as I'm concerned. However, I never remember being able to play as Fett during that game. I do remember a level where you fight him though.

Jason said...

Thanks for fixing the pictures man.

Jason said...

My bad, you don't get to play as Fett, but you get a jet-pack and you have to jump from pillar to pillar. I'll fix it in the post.

Anonymous said...

Boba Fett dosent relly die by falling into the pit he simply throws a thermal detanator in side the sarlacc stomach and the killed it.