Friday, September 26, 2008

W. Looks Insane




The theatrical trailer for Oliver Stone's W. was released earlier this week and I have to say- it looks pretty freaking crazy. Essentially, it looks like an Oliver Stone movie- crazy directing, hyper-editing, and personal opinions that are displayed with the subtlety of a swinging sledgehammer. I know a lot of people really hate Stone for these very things but I think it makes his films always really entertaining. Sure, I don't believe half of the points that he tries to make in his films due to the constant creative license that he takes. However, I don't think that that takes away from the experience of the film. I just view his movies as entertaining films that are slightly based on history.

Any ways, W. looks to be a strange drama / comedy that is slightly based on the life and presidency of George W. Bush. The trailer is particularly well cut (with a nice use of "Once in a Lifetime" by The Talking Heads) and shows flashes of the style that Stone employed on films such as the underrated Nixon and his masterpiece (IMHO) JFK. I really like how he portrayed the incident of Bush choking on a pretzel (just the fact that that is in this film should show you what kind of movie Stone is trying to make). And how about that scene with Bush just screaming his head off in the Oval Office? It looks pretty crazy.

I'm sure this movie (and the trailer for that matter) will turn a lot of people off. After all, it is pretty soon for a movie like this to come out. Also, despite most of the country pretty much hating Bush by this point, I'm sure there are those that are ultra-conservative that will be very turned off by this. It is probably really mean-spirited to make a one-sided film like this while the man is still in office (well, at least for a few more months) but, with that said, I'm still looking forward to see it. I think it will just be fun to watch. Plus, it looks like Josh Brolin has the character down.

It's not going to be a fair film, but I'm going.

Update: Here's an extended version of the trailer via MySpace.


1 comments:

Big Mike Mendez said...

If by insane, you mean insanely awesome, then I agree.