Monday, September 15, 2008

Speech of the Week #8

Hey guys, welcome to a new column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.

This week's entry is obviously from a really good movie. 

With all the talk that Heath Ledger may be the second person to ever receive an Oscar posthumously, I figured it'd be nice to look at Peter Finch, the only person who has actually achieved this.

In 1976, Sydney Lumet made Network, further proving why he is one of the greatest directors that ever lived. Just this past year he released Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, continuing to show that, even over the age of 70, he can still out-direct most younger directors out there. While Network worked as a great social commentary on the way network news and media is put together, brought to the public, and the mostly soulless people behind it, it also showcased some great performances.

Peter Finch was one of those performances. 

For those who haven't seen the film, Howard Beale (Finch) learns that he is going to be fired from his position as a news anchor and suffers a nervous breakdown. In this breakdown, he goes on the air and tells the viewers that he plans on killing himself on the air in just a week's time. While those who run the station are initially horrified, they get such high ratings from the broadcast that they continue to bring the unbalanced Beale back on the air. In this particular scene, Beale goes into a rant about he is sick of the state of the world and that he is "Mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore." 

If you haven't seen this scene or the movie itself, be sure to watch the clip below. It is a classic.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Great Speech! Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is lame though.

Wesley said...

I strongly disagree about Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. 9/10. Boo-yah.

Jason said...

Boo-yah? What did you win a debate by flashing some nonsensical number rating at me? I guess it doesn't take much to please people anymore.

Wesley said...

we should have a fist fight. we don't agree on anything anymore.

Jason said...

Its really starting to seem that way. That's what this site is here for though. We can disagree and still be friends. I just re-read my second comment and it sounds mean. Sorry about that.

movie_fan225 said...

To jason's second comment... That's exactly how i feel. He actually used to give reasons why he disagreed with me. Now all he does is tell me that I'm wrong and should think differently. At least put up a fight, Wesblo.

Wesley said...

What do you want me to say? Do I need to defend my love for Before the Devil Knows You're Dead? Because I'll write an 8 page review of it if I have to. I've just been kind of busy lately. And if you're referring to Burn After Reading, I already put a review of how I feel (and why) already. Just what exactly are you referring to, moviefan? Just tell me and I'll give some lengthy and well thought-out reasons. I've just been a little burned out lately but damn it tell me what to do and I'll do it. Really.