Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Have No Interest in Valkyrie

Honestly, I didn't think I would say that I had no interest in this movie. When I first read the plot synopsis, I was quite intrigued. I am a fan of all of director Bryan Singer's movies up until this point and I was looking forward to seeing what he could do with this material. I wasn't crazy about the casting of Tom Cruise (was anyone?) but I thought I could let it slide. However, as we get closer and closer to the movie coming out in just two days, I really gotta say- I'd rather see the terribly-reviewed train wreck that is The Spirit.


What was it that killed my anticipation for this film? Was it the months of bad buzz leading up to its release? Was it the controversy sparked by Germany's initial refusal to let filming occur in their country because of their disapproval of Tom Cruise and his Scientology faith? Was it the fact that Tom Cruise is playing a German with an English accent? 



I'm not sure. Maybe it was a little of all of those things. But honestly, the moment I stopped caring was when I saw the final trailer of the film (you can watch it above) in the theater a few weeks ago. It's not a bad trailer per say and the movie looks decent but it also doesn't look that great either. It just looks kind of generic. That and the fact that they used the music from the end of the first Saw movie just makes the whole thing just seem kind of off. For some reason, it just feels like a generic thriller. I've seen a couple of TV spots using the same forum and music and they make it look even more generic.

In the end, Valkyrie probably isn't that bad of a movie. Right now, it has pretty mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and is sitting at 58% (though it has been in the 60-70% range for the past few days). So, as far as I know, it's not supposed to be that bad. It has some really talented people involved behind and in front of the camera. However, I just can't get into it right now. It just kind of looks generic and overall, I just think I'm really sick of Tom Cruise. Ever since he kind of came out as a crazy Scientologist a few years ago, I just haven't been able to enjoy him in anything. It's sad but it's true. Oh well.

In the end, I'll probably just wait to check this thing out on DVD.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed. i was watching cops chase stupid people on spike tv last night, and a commercial came on for the spirit that basically said, "eva mendes...jaime king...and the ever tasty scarlett johannson," and i thought to myself, "that's exactly why i'm going to see this movie."