Sunday, December 7, 2008

TV Recap: The Office 5.09 - The Surplus


I usually don't make it a point to read other reviewers' opinions until I have had the dubious honor of forming my own beforehand. I want my review to be neutral in a sense. Untainted from me to you in my own true tone and sensibilities. But when it comes to The Office, I stand alone as a reviewer and am therefore immune to every other review. This is true for many reasons. First, this is the first episode I have ever reviewed of what is arguably my favorite show ever (Until Scrubs takes to the air in January...of course). Second, it seems to me that everyone else misses the point of why an episode is either good or bad; funny or trying too hard. Because The Office is never without humor. However, this will not be a review of others reviews. And, although I hold my own opinion in very high esteem in nothing more than a purely confidence-only manner, I just wanted you to know why my review will be the best. Now we can move on.

The latest episode of this Season 2-like run is directed by none other than Paul Feig. Other than creating Freaks and Geeks, Feig has directed 9 episodes of The Office including such classics as Office Olympics; Goodbye, Toby; and the bound to be classic Moroccan Christmas premiering next week. The dude is simply a stud in the comedy world, and he is a master of subtle comedy. You know, the kind that takes you by surprise at first, but always has you laughing over and over every time you think about it. Examples from last night include:

- Andy stepping in cow manure twice; once in Dwight's kitchen!
- The entire Office settling the episode-long surplus dispute off camera in 10 seconds.
- Michael eating Tiramisu out of the garbage.
- Michael pouring sugar into a diet coke.
- Michael wanting to spend a potential $645 bonus at the Burlington Coat Factory.
- Michael going to the Burlington Coat Factory anyway, without the bonus.
- Michael wearing a fur coat with fake blood on it. And apparently wearing it everywhere.


Do you see my point? I have read a lot about how this episode is middle of the road. Nothing happened. It wasn't funny, but it wasn't unfunny. IGN gave it a 7.5 for crying out loud.

Sure, this episode plays a lot on why we love the characters and our familiarity with each and every one of their nuances. But, that is why this episode is so great. I would have killed someone to go to that lunch with Jim, Oscar, and Michael. The entire lunch takes place off camera, but it was the funniest lunch ever. To us and to them. Err, rather Michael. Their high-fives afterwards were priceless.

And no, this isn't the first time Jim and Pam have had a frustrating hiccup in their relationship. Did everyone forget that Pam moved to New York for 3 months? And if Pam can accept that awful, permanent clown picture, then she can handle Jim wanting a new copier at work. It technically wasn't even a "fight" anyway. It can probably be better described as "foreplay."

Man, and if only Dwight wouldn't have been so stupid, he would have ended up with the girl after all. But I guess killing your girlfriend's cat and tricking her into marrying you (in Amish German) doesn't work after all.

This episode was entirely too funny for 22 minutes of television. And we don't have to have a major man-on-the-moon sized leap every episode. The 1st season has six of the best episodes ever and they were all just like this one. This doesn't have to be "drama-filled, explosion, OMG, a major character is going to die every week" thing. Just enjoy spending time with your favorite characters, and catch up on your reality TV drama-filth on DVR afterwards.

Thank you, Paul Feig. I am sorry you are under appreciated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely agree! This was a great episode, for all of the reasons you have cited. I love the show, but it is rare that I actually rewatch one soon after I've already seen it. I've seen this episode three times since its airing 4 days ago. There is just so much going on, and all of it is funny!

Wesley said...

Good to see you posting again, Jason.

Honestly, I didn't think this episode was as good as the rest of the Season. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was funny and I really enjoyed watching it but it was just missing something. With that said, this Season has been pretty amazing so far so I would still take this episode over the majority of Season 4.

Also, Jenna Fischer (Pam) is no longer married. I'm going for it.

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed the episode, but i can't agree with your comment that the 6 episodes in season 1 were exactly like this one. every season 1 episode was filled with awkward silence, so much so that i had a hard time getting my brother to watch it because he felt uncomfortable. this episode had none of that. and while i liked this episode, i wish the awkwardness would return. also, i dont take your opinion seriously at all because scrubs is your favorite tv show. so yeah.

Jason said...

Wesley, she would be lucky to have you.

Caleb, I guess I should clarify about why I said this episode is similar to those in Season 1. I will probably even do a post revision b/c you do bring up a good point. But what I meant to say was, that besides the type of humor used in Season 1 and this most recent episode in Season 5, the plot devices are similar in that Season 1's episode do not really build on each other in the same way The Surplus doesn't drastically build on this previous Season's episodes. Also, I could understand if I said Kath and Kim or Flava of Love was my favorite show, then that should reflect some negativity toward your taking my opinion seriously. But your resistance is both ridiculous and unnecessary. I wrote in my post how awesome my opinion was, and I meant every word of it. You should reconsider.

Jason said...

Oh, and thanks Redison. Glad to see all of the great things about this episode did not go unnoticed.