Friday, December 26, 2008

Updates on the Site and Random Thoughts


I've had quite the day today. I woke up this morning at 7 am and threw up snot from my chest. Yes, that is disgusting but let me tell you this: I'm not exaggerating. I literally threw up a lot of snot and fluid for about five minutes. I did not know it was possible for the human body to store up so much nastiness. Well, it can. It was quite the wake up call. 


I've been sick for a week now and, instead of getting better, I've only gotten a lot worse. It started as a sore throat and has become congestion, stopped up ears, and a God awful cough (in other words, a full-blown sinus infection). In this time period, I have not been able to get one decent night of sleep. I feel like a zombie. 

Anyways, because I'm stupid, I forced myself to get up at 7 this morning so I could get to Best Buy when it opened with my brother to get Blu-ray versions of The Dark Knight, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and Speed Racer. While I was there, I also ended up getting The Nightmare Before Christmas as well. 

Once I got home, I immediately realized that I did in fact need to go to a doctor. I really hate going to the doctor's office. Personally, I have a belief that you get even more sick by sitting in the waiting room for hours with people who probably have worse illnesses than you do. Today's doctor run was the worst one I've ever had. It took 4 hours to see the doctor. Four freaking hours. That's B.S. Never go to MEA people. Never. I knew it was going to be bad but I had to do it. I was going to go to my grandparent's doctor but the office was closed till Monday. So I bit the bullet thinking that it couldn't be that bad. I got there at 9. I left at 1:10. Bullsh*t. I should have known what I was in for when, after waiting for 2 and a half hours, I got my name called only to go into the back to wait in another, much smaller waiting room for another hour. I almost left 3 times. It was maddening. And you know how long it took for the doctor to look at me? 3 minutes. I timed it. It was ridiculous. Once she brought up the prospect of getting a shot, I cut her off, quickly stating, "Stick it in me." Never have I been so urgent to have a needle injected into my flesh. 

Anyways, I got my shot and a bunch of pills. One of them is for helping me sleep. God, I hope it works. I cannot tell you how bad I need it to. 

The rest of the day wasn't so bad. I watched The Dark Knight on Blu-ray with my grandfather and my brother. I've seen the movie five times now and I'm still shocked how it has an emotional impact on me every time I see it. It's amazing like that. My friend Rebecca Goysich once put the movie down on her favorite movies list on Facebook months before it actually came out. I have to say that she was wise doing that. I felt like this would be one of my favorite movies just from watching the trailers and I have to say that the final product still surpasses any ridiculous anticipations I had for it. This film will probably end up at the top of my favorite films of 2008 list. Speaking of that, here's some updates and more random thoughts to finish this rant / article up:

-My Top Films of 2008 List

My first post on YDKS Movies was my favorite films of 2007. So, naturally, I will be doing a top film list of 2008. However, I am waiting until after January 16th to do so. Why? Because that's when Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler cames out where I live. Yes, it's being released in Mississippi in 2009 but it's a 2008 film. I feel like it will be one of those movies that is high up on My Top Film List (heck, it might even take The Dark Knight's spot... pretty hard thing to do though). Last year, I did the list without seeing films like There Will Be Blood and I have always regretted that. So, to remedy that, I'm going to wait a little longer this year. 

-My First Impressions of Blu-ray

I've had a Blu-ray player for one day now. Wanna know what I think? It is absolutely amazing.
Last night, I watched the DVD version of The Incredible Hulk and the quality was so good that I could have sworn it was a Blu-ray disc. Well, that was until I saw what the quality of a Blu-ray disc looked like. This morning, right before going to the doctor, I put in the Dark Knight.

Holy crap. When the first IMAX shot of Gotham City hit my TV screen, filling all 40 inches of it up, I was blown away. The image was so pristine and clear. It was so sharp and vivid. It looked beautiful. Granted, the non-IMAX sequences in the film do not look nearly as good but they still look great. I do have to admit that it does become distracting as the aspect ratio constantly shifts from being in the 1:78:1  full screen, IMAX mood to the regular 2:40:1 letter boxed mood. Still, it isn't too bad. The IMAX stuff really does look beautiful. I didn't really notice the difference on the theater screen (I saw it in a regular projection) but it really stands out in this Blu-ray disc. I'm now completely for Chris Nolan shooting an entire movie in IMAX. Go for it you brilliant, brilliant man. 

I also tried out the Blu-rays for Hellboy II: The Golden Army, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Speed Racer. They all looked great as well, with Hellboy II really standing out due to its beautiful visuals. 

So, yeah, so far, I'm completely in support of Blu-ray. We'll see how that changes in the future (in other words, if my player suddenly stops working like all the other players in my house).

Also, I've only had a Blu-ray player for a day but I've already spent a 100 bucks on buying Blu-rays for it. I kinda hate myself for it but I blame Amazon.com. They're having a sell on Blu-ray discs right now, some of which are 50% off. How could I say no to that? All I can say is I cannot wait to see Blade Runner in HD. It's gonna be amazing.

- I am looking for new writers

I could really use some help around here. Jason still posts every now and then but he hasn't in some time. Zach, our guest writer, only did a whopping two posts. It's incredibly hard to update this place everyday, especially when I'm hard at work at school. Heck, even posting during breaks can be difficult. Still, I've managed to do a decent job but it's getting harder. Although I'm not taking many classes this upcoming semester, I'm going to making my new movie so most of my free time will go into that. Also, I'm going to be busy chasing women.

So, if you know me in person (yes, that's the catch; I'm trying to keep YDKS Movies a very close-knit / personal thing between writers) and have a good taste in movies, please contact me. I think a female writer would be a nice addition. It could definitely spice things up around here. 

Still, if you don't know me and wanna convince me that you're good enough anyways, email me at wescald715@gmail.com. I'll hear you out. 

- I want a new site design / layout

Anyone who knows anything about website design or editing html please contact me. I like the way our site looks but I would really like a change of some sort. It is just getting old. I want something that really makes us stand out from the rest of the sites that work off of Blogger. Once again, my email is wescald715@gmail.com. If you know me in person (*cough* Guy ; Amy ; Stephen *cough*), just tell me you'll edit my site. That would be a nice thing for a wonderful friend to do. Especially since I have a Blu-ray player that you can watch movies on now.

- Give me comments

If you read the site and don't give comments (which is a lot of people according to our larger than usual numbers as of late) please leave a comment of some sort to say what you thought of the article. It doesn't have to be long. It would just make me feel better. I put a lot of time into this place and don't get much feedback. So be a good site reader and make me feel like I'm doing something useful with my time.

- A much delayed review of Punisher: War Zone is coming

Yes, I actually saw Punisher: War Zone. And yes, I will review it. Why did I see it? Well, you'll just have to read the review (whenever it is that that comes out). I just haven't had the time or been in the mood lately to write it. But I will review it for all of you wonderful people. I promise. So, yes, it's coming

Well, that's about it. Thank you for all reading these updates / rants / random thoughts. I hope that it has all be insight and maybe even a little interesting. 

And remember, never go to MEA. It's not even a real doctor's office. Four hours...

4 comments:

becca. said...

I went to MEA in clinton before Christmas break and rather enjoyed myself. but anyways...nice post.

Wesley said...

4 hours, rebecca. 4 hours...

Still, thank you for your comment.

Noah said...

I just wanted to keep up the great work. I've been a reader for about six months now and along side The Totally Rad Show, YDKS is all I need to steer me towards movies I might have otherwise missed.

I do a bit of web design when I'm not working on school work, so if it comes down to it, I could give YDKS a new look.

Wesley said...

Thank you for your support, Noah. It's always great to find out that we have readers who continually check the site. To be compared just slightly to The Totally Rad Show is very flattering. I'm glad you enjoy our site.

As for the web design, I might just take you up on the offer. If I can find someone I know in my personal life, I might go with them just because it will be easier to tell them what I want done. However, I'd be interested in your help. Is there any way I can contact you about that kind of stuff when it comes time for a new design. Like an email address?