Sunday, December 21, 2008

M.A.N.T.I.S. Finally Coming to DVD

I know that I'm probably the only one who remembers this show but I couldn't help not posting an article about it. Honestly, I had forgotten about this show for years. Then, about a year ago, my brother Austin went, "Do you remember that show with the black, crippled guy who was a superhero?" At first, I was incredibly confused. However, after a few minutes, it all came back to me. Yes, I did remember this show. The strange part about the whole thing was not only could I not find anything on the Internet about it but that Sam Raimi, the director of The Evil Dead series and Spider-man, was one of the show's creators (he was a producer on the pilot episode). 

Here's a synopsis of the show:

Dr. Miles Hawkins was a wealthy, mild-mannered doctor who was shot in the spine by a criminal. Paralyzed from the waist down, he uses his company's resources to invent a powered exoskeleton that not only enables him to walk but gives him superhuman abilities. He utilizes a vast array of technology, including a large underwater lab and a hovercraft called the Crysalid to fly around the city. With his newfound power, he vows to fight crime and assumes the hidden identity of the vigilante "M.A.N.T.I.S." (Mechanically Automated NeuroTransmitter Interactive System).

At the time, the show was unique not only for having a black superhero but confronting racism head on (he was crippled by a racist cop who used illegal ammunition during the post-Rodney King verdict LA riots). Unfortunately, the show only lasted for one season and had drastic changes done to it in its last half due to poor ratings. Honestly, I don't even really know if this show is any good because it's been so long since I've seen an episode but I cannot wait to re-watch it all come January 29 when it is released on DVD. I can remember watching this thing every week it would come on as a kid. I'm going to buy it for pure nostalgic value. Did anyone else watch this show? I cannot find anyone who is familiar with it other than my brother and me. Please leave a comment if you remember it.


I tried to find a clip of the show but all I could find was footage of the opening title sequence. Enjoy.

0 comments: