Monday, December 22, 2008

Wesley's Christmas Wish-List


With Christmas right around the corner, I thought it might be nice to share some of the things that I've asked for or that I wouldn't mind getting. Since most of these desired gifts are movies, I figured this was YDKS Movies related. Just think of this as a list of things that an obsessive movie nerd like myself desires. Enjoy.


Things that I've asked for:

1. The Dark Knight- Two-Disc Special Edition DVD

The Dark Knight was and still is my favorite movie that I've seen this year. It would be a no brainer that this would be at the top of my Christmas list. I can think of no better way to spend the night of Christmas than sitting down and watching this great piece of filmmaking one more time (after all, this will be my fifth time to see the movie). I really look forward to getting this one.

2. Mystery Science Theater 3000- 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was one of my favorite television shows growing up. My brother and me would watch it every week it came on. So, when I heard that there was going to be a Limited Edition 20th Aniversary Box Set released with five specially selected episodes, I knew that I had to ask for this for Christmas. This is easily one of my most anticipated gifts that I have asked for. I cannot wait to get it.

3. Absolute Watchmen

Watchmen is not only my favorite graphic novel of all-time: it's my favorite piece of literature period. I have been in a Watchmen mood ever since I saw the first trailer for the movie attached to The Dark Knight this summer. Since then, I've re-read the book again, talked all of my friends (and English teachers) into reading it and made it the focus for my Comics class that I took this past semester. So, when I saw that Amazon.com dropped the price on the Absolute edition of Watchmen from $75 to $50 on Black Friday, I knew that I just had to request this for a Christmas gift. 

For those who don't know what an Absolute edition is, it is basically an oversized edition of a popular DC Comics graphic novel that often features pages of bonus material, re-done artwork, a hard cover book and a hard cover slip case. So Absolute Watchmen is basically just the IMAX version of the original trade-back edition of Watchmen.

4. Twin Peaks- Definitive Gold Box Set Edition (The Complete Series)

I have to admit- I've never seen one episode of Twin Peaks. However, I am a big fan of pretty much everything that David Lynch has done (except Easerhead). My friend Caleb and I have been wanting to get this set for a year now but have always never made the plunge to do so due to its extremely high list price ($100). However, when Caleb saw this go down to $49.99 on Amazon on Black Friday, he sent me a text message telling me to buy the thing. In the end, I didn't buy it. I did the more logical thing- I asked for it for Christmas. I just hope it's worth the wait (and price). However, something in the back of my mind tells me it will be.

5. Hellboy II: The Golden Army- 3-Disc Special Edition

I was really surprised at how much I really enjoyed Hellboy II: The Golden Army. It had a lot of movie magic in it, something that I haven't felt in a film in quite some time. Unfortunately, some of my friends didn't feel the same way (Blossom and Jason included). Still, I look forward to re-watching this one and adding it to my ever expanding DVD collection. Anything that Guillermo Del Toro does deserves to go in there as far as I'm concerned.

6. The Incredible Hulk- 3-Disc Special Edition

I realize that The Incredible Hulk was not one of the best movies ever made but I still found it incredibly (pun?) enjoyable and entertaining. It was basically everything that I could ever want from a Hulk movie. Plus, last night a couple of my friends and I re-watched the ending from the original Hulk movie on the Sci-Fi channel. It was pretty bad and I'm one of the people that actually defended that movie when it first came out. So one thing's for sure- this re-invention / sequel is a thousand times better than Ang Lee's Hulk.

Things I didn't ask for but wouldn't mind getting:

1. Absolute Kingdom Come

If you haven't noticed, I'm on an Absolute graphic novel fix right now. I just finished reading Absolute Batman: Hush and Absolute DC: The New Frontier over the past few days and I have to admit: I love the Absolute edition lay-out. The oversized artwork really makes a difference to the reading experience. It just makes everything so much more vivid and engaging. So, if there was one Absolute book that I could get for Christmas (other than Watchmen) it would have to be Absolute Kingdom Come. I've heard the story is amazing and the artwork by Alex Ross is simply beautiful. To see it in full Absolute size would be wonderful.

2. Absolute Batman: The Long Halloween

Yes, another Absolute. What makes this one so special? Well, I have read a lot of Batman graphic novels. And, although I really love Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, I would have to go with Batman: The Long Halloween as my favorite Batman graphic novel. The story is pretty amazing and I really like Tim Sale's artwork. To have it all together in an Absolute Edition would make Christmas even more awesome.

3. Adventures in Babysitting DVD

I caught this movie on TNT the other night and ended up staying up to 3 in the morning to finish it. I hadn't seen it since I was a little kid. It's absolutely ridiculous but it's also a lot of fun. I mostly want it just for the nostalgic value.

Well, that's the end of my Christmas Wish-list. I hope you have enjoyed reading it. Feel free to post your own wish list in the comments section. What do you all want for Christmas?

0 comments: