Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Watchmen Comic-Con 2008 Footage on iTunes


In case you missed it, the footage from the Watchmen Comic-Con 2008 panel has finally been released online via iTunes. You can download it for free here. Also, I've include an embedded YouTube version below.



I know I've been very hard and critical of all the Watchmen news to come out in the past two months but that's just because I love the original graphic novel so much. It is my favorite book. With that said, this is probably my favorite footage concerning the film released so far. It feels very true to the source material, unlike a lot of the last trailer. Instead of trying to sell Watchmen as a cheap action movie (if you've read the book, you'll know that it barely has any action in it, though Synder has expanded upon on that and added more), it just lets it unfold as it truly is: a tragic drama. The footage is not really a trailer- it's just a series of beautiful images strung together with really haunting music playing in the background (the same two songs used in the last trailer, minus the Muse). There's a lot of stuff throw in here that hasn't been released before and most of it is little stuff for fans of book (which is why this footage shown at a Comic-Con). If you pay attention, you can see:

- Janey Slater throwing her earrings at Dr. Manhattan (my favorite shot in all of the footage- the look on Manhattan's face is beautiful and I love how the camera goes in focus on the earrings)
- Jon and Janey in happier days
- Jon fixing the watch back in Brooklyn
- Dr. Milton Glass (or it could be Wally Weaver- I've heard these characters have been combined)
- A young Rorschach (not sure how I feel about this yet... and why is he in the snow? It was a hot, sunny day in this scene in the book... again, I'm nitpicking)
- Moloch
- Dollar Bill's fate (never actually shown in the book but I really like it)
- Pictures of both Sally and Laurie Jupiter in the Comedian's apartment
- The picture taken at the Minutemen party
- The full blood stain forming on the Comedian's smiley face button
- The shot Dan sitting down, depressed, after his visit with Rorschach (one of my favorite panels in the book)
- Richard Nixon in the war room
- New shots of giant Dr. Manhattan crashing into a certain location
- Lots of new shots of Rorschach moving around, basically to show off his mask effect, which looks beautiful

So, yeah, I really like this footage. I'm not sure that you will be into it as much as me if you've never read the book but its pretty beautiful to look at. Check it out. It's definitely made me feel a little better about the film adaptation than I felt a few days ago.

And yes, I'll still be there at midnight.

Source: /Film

1 comments:

Jason said...

I just can't watch this man. I tried, just for you Wes. But I want to see it all together in the theater. Sorry.