Monday, December 29, 2008

Speech of the Week #23

Hey guys, welcome to a column here on YDKS Movies entitled Speech of the Week! For now on, every Monday I will post a new scene from a movie that features a speech of some sort being given. After all, there are a lot of famous scenes in film where characters give an influential speech of some sort. Then again, there are also a lot of scenes where characters give a speech and it just comes off cheesy and lame. In this section, you will see both kinds. That's right, people, I'm giving you the good and bad of film speeches all wrapped up in one great big package. I hope you all enjoy.


This is my favorite speech that I've ever put on here. I actually wanted this to be one of the first speeches I did but, for some strange reason, I couldn't find it online anywhere. Well, I finally found a version so here it is.

To me, this is the scariest part of Jaws. In this scene, Quint, Brody and Hooper get drunk on the open ocean one night. After awhile, things get real when Quint (the brilliant Robert Shaw) recounts his experiences on the U.S.S. Indianapolis, which was sunk and the survivors had to fend for themselves in shark infested waters. His descriptions of this event are pretty vivid and more terrifying than any shark attack in the movie. Robert Shaw had a lot to do with the writing of this speech and he deserves a lot of credit. As far as I know, it's my favorite speech in any film I've seen.

Watch it below.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I haven't seen Jaws in a very long time, and this speech has given me the inspiration to sit down and watch it real soon. That speech was scarier than I remember. I still got chills.

Wesley said...

The comment about the eyes rolling over white gets to me.