Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Watchmen Might Actually Be Delayed

I post a lot about Watchmen. I'm sorry about that. It is a movie based on my favorite piece of literature so I guess I cannot help it. So if there is any news about Watchmen, you can pretty much guarantee I'm gonna post about it.

Last week, I posted about 20th Century Fox gaining the rights to distribute Watchmen instead of Warner Bros., something that could delay the release of the film if a settlement was not reached or if Warner Bros. decided to go for an appeal.

Well, today Warner Bros. issued this statement:

"We respectfully but vigorously disagree with the court’s ruling and are exploring all of our appellate options. We continue to believe that Fox’s claims have no merit and that we will ultimately prevail, whether at trial or in the Court of Appeals."






I've read a lot of different sites covering this mess and everyone seems to have a different opinion on what's happening or what is going to happen. Some seem to think that both sides are just talking tough right now to force the other side to settle. If this was the case, a settlement could possibly be reached and Watchmen could still come out on March 6, 2009. However, many others really think that this is going to drag out into a trial and that the release date will actually have to be changed (something that is going to cost both sides more money).

I'm sick of trying to figure it all out and who is exactly to blame. It's all Hollywood B.S. sparked by greed and people thinking they are above the law. I hate Fox right now more than anyone but, let's face it, Warner Bros. broke the law. They made Watchmen without even legally owning the rights to it. How does that even happen? Fox sucks a lot for sitting on the rights for so long and then taking forever to take any legal action (maybe before filming started would have been nice) but, the fact remains, they probably should have the rights. That doesn't make me like them as a studio in any way but, as far as the law goes, it does appear that Warner Bros. is in the wrong.

The fact is this- this situation should not even exist. It's ridiculous that it even actually happened and both studios are to blame in some way. The real losers in all of this are the people that really want to see this movie. I don't care if they changed the ending. I don't even care if it sucks (it probably won't). I just want to see the damn thing. That's all. I wanna go the theater on March 6 at midnight, pay $8.50, sit in the center row with all my friends, get pumped up and watch a film adaptation of one of the greatest works of literature ever created.

Is that so wrong?

I should be able to do that. Who knows, maybe I still will be able to. I sure hope I can. But I may not be able to. I may not get to see the movie for years. Maybe I'll never get to see it (though this is insanely doubtful). Who knows?

The whole thing is just frustrating and stupid.

Source: Filmdrunk

1 comments:

Jason said...

I have run out of an opinion on this particular situation. All I can say is that I hope it is rectified, in a timely manner of course, and I hope we love the movie no matter what. That is all I have to say for the moment.